The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, how do you feel about it? I've never been one to get it (the flu shot) but now that I have a small child I think this is the year. We've all read what the naysayers and the medical community have to say.

What do you all think? Does anyone think they actually got sick due to it?

C

·
0 Posts
I'm way more likely to give credence to the opinion of a trained medical professional than to some anecdote from some regular joe....

C

·
0 Posts
Seems pretty evident to me.... Anecdotes are not scientific. They may be food for thought, but they are the McDonalds.... the Pizza Hut of such food.

I was not talking specifically about your anecdote.

Why oh why would doctors proscribe something they knew was going to make people sick? Some kind of conspiracy?!?! No such beast....

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Again, I can only go off my personal experience. I have always come down with at least one miserable cold or flu a year. But last year (or this year) I got the shot and for the first time in a real long time I got through the whole year without a cold or flu. Must be something to it, or maybe I just got lucky this year.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why oh why would doctors proscribe something they knew was going to make people sick? Some kind of conspiracy?!?! No such beast....
Are you really that naive? Dr's prescribe Drugs to people everyday that later turn out to be something evil or addictive. Look at how many people give their kids ritalin just for being childlike cause some Dr said they have ADHD. According to the ADHD checklist EVERY kid is ADHD!

Some people don't realise that it's up to ourselves to research prescription drugs and be as well informed as possible.

C

·
0 Posts
"Are you really that naive?"

Naive is thinking that there's any sort of conspiracy involved! No one is saying that the medical profession isn't capable of making mistakes (FK Ritalin.... Look no further than Thalidomide for that example)

The difference is no one still proscribes thalidomide.

Naive is thinking that there are kids out there who don't NEED the assistance that drugs like Ritalin have to offer.... That such drugs might be over-proscribed is a whole different subject.

When in doubt... ask your doctor.... If you don't think you can trust your doctor, get a new one. If you don't think you can trust ANY doctor, get yourself a better education and become one yourself.

"Something evil"
There's no such thing as evil....

·
Registered
2,833 Posts

Naive is thinking that there's any sort of conspiracy involved! No one is saying that the medical profession isn't capable of making mistakes (FK Ritalin.... Look no further than Thalidomide for that example)

Naive is thinking that there are kids out there who don't NEED the assistance that drugs like Ritalin have to offer.... That such drugs might be over-proscribed is a whole different subject.

When in doubt... ask your doctor.... If you don't think you can trust your doctor, get a new one. If you don't think you can trust ANY doctor, get yourself a better education and become one yourself.

"Something evil"
CH - I normally find your comments somewhat amusing in a sad kinda way but this time you are so pessimistic and antagonistic that you are contradicting yourself from post to post...Think before you speak...lol!!

I don't believe there are massive conspiracies to deceive the public (people in general are just too stupid) but I do believe in the ignorance of the masses. What initially appears to be a good thing can be sold as a great thing only to be found to be a bad thing once people wade through all the BS.

Everyone else - I've been getting the flu shot for the past 8 years. I have 3 kids that bring home every virus and bacteria home from our local petri dish (school) and while I've been sick at times over the past 8 years, I've only had the flu once. My kids of course get sick (cause that's what kids do) but nothing too serious...knock on wood.

I understand the concept behind the Flu Virus and personally think it's a good thing. But...time will tell I guess...:wave:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

"Something evil"
At NO point did I suggest a conspiracy NOR did I suggest that NO child need medical therapy. I was merly pointing out the fact that to trust being medicated just cause someone with "a piece of paper hanging on the wall" (sound familiar?) says so is not always prudent.

C

·
0 Posts
You might, if you don't recognize a typo when you see it....

"is not always prudent"
More prudent than trusting someone with NO qualifications at all....

I guess I'll say it again...

C

·
0 Posts
And if that's all you see, you must be pretty short-sighted.

Or desperate to find ANY excuse....

Either way it says way more about you than it does about me

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I've never had the shot, and haven't had the flu in at least 5 years. As I get older and my immune system weakens I might get it. At this time I just don't see the point though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts