The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going from 9 to 10 set of strings. However I find the strings slip rather easily from the string grips. If I were to add another spring to get the action right will the tens slip easier or will the bigger gauge result in a better grip?
Thanks shredders

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've never had a problem with strings slipping in the grip on mine (original Floyd from back in the day).

However, i doubt you'll need another spring to adjust action going from 9s to 10s ... you can just tighten/loosen the screws holding the springs in to the body a bit for minor action changes.

·
Premium Member
9,704 Posts
I have a handful of FR equipped guitars, never experienced that.
Maybe get it setup.

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
I’d rather just sell the guitar.
What’s the point of a FR if you can’t let it be itself?
That's the beauty of it. You can let it be itself - or dive-only, or hardtail. ;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. It feels ok at home but once I play live it feels like I’m playing rubber bands. Not comfortable at all. I’ll try making the change.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is this an original Floyd Rose? A copy? A cheap copy? More info would be useful to help with string slippage. Also, how tight do you tighten the string clamp bolts?

And yes, to offset the balance change created by the thicker strings, you could adjust the spring tension using the screws in the back. Adding a spring will require an adjustment anyway.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s a LTD copy. Pretty cheap. I’m decent at setups so I’m not too concerned. I was wondering if the slippage was common but it’s as I suspected, it’s the cheap Floyd. I could upgrade with new saddles.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It’s a LTD copy. Pretty cheap. I’m decent at setups so I’m not too concerned. I was wondering if the slippage was common but it’s as I suspected, it’s the cheap Floyd. I could upgrade with new saddles.
FWIW, I’ve had a lot of string slippage problems in the past on cheaper Floyd copies, but not on all. Floyd copies really are a case by case basis, you never know if you’ve got a good one until you have it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oh god no....there is a reason for the "no" on the tremolo no. After borrowing a guitar with it that was setup properly with it, I'd never use that product again. Esp arming adjusters for all of my guitars. They work beautifully with a bit of modification. If you are having string slipping issues, check the small blocks in the saddles to see if they are cracked. If they are, simply replace with stock or a better option being the titanium blocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts