The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to tune up my mid 70's Ampeg B-15N.....just ordered a re-cap kit, tubes and shockmounts from Fliptops:banana:

1) arrived in almost no time...shipping wasn't cheap (expresspost) but Canada Post only charged $8 more for brokerage + all the taxes

2) the caps were any easy change.....I did have to drill out 2 rivets holding the main filter cap but overall it was easy. Replaced with 4-40 pan head screws and locknuts from a model airplane store (another great online speciality store I found)

3) I did a few other tweaks at the same time, replaced the power cord with an IEC, replaced the speaker wire with something way better, defluxed all the mess that 30 years of different techs left (buying used isn't always so easy)

4) over at gearslutz, there was several posts with amazing tweaks, got all that through partsconnexion in Oakville (another great online speciality store I found:D)

nb: if you're inspired to do this too.....usual tube amp safety is a prerequisite (draining filter caps before poking around, checking again with the VOM so that there are no deadly surprises, wearing safety glasses especially when desoldering etc.)

...and the site I first googled didn't mention that the rectifier tube needs to be removed when first powering on with a light bulb in series test but I now know better:D all good!!!!!!:food-smiley-004:

Soooooooo, I haven't changed the tubes yet and the amp is already a whole new animal, no noise and way more definition and BASS as in now I have to find a rattle I never heard before in the studio ventilation (more things to prevent me from playing music) So, I'm a very happy Fliptops customer and thought I'd share my little story here.

Andy

·
Registered
328 Posts
I did a complete restoration of a B-15N from tubes to components, speaker and the entire tolex covering. didn't replace the shock mounts, but should have. The replacement shocks are plastic as I recall and originals were metal.
Fliptops is an excellent place to shop for parts. Used them to get an OT for an Echo-Twin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts