The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
not as spectacular as other members finds, but nonetheless interesting enough- found at a flea market across the street from home, i am there every sunday for 2 years and this is the first thing ive found there lol.
got it about 3 weeks ago for $70, its a 12 string oscar schmidt mandolin, the head is stamped with 03 62 so i think it was made then- not worth much as they were produced in great numbers.
this one is in good shape, except the binding on the front was replaced with a strip of rawhide. cool idea and it looks good. when i bought it there was a set of mando strings on it, only 8, and the nut is a regular 8 string- im likely going to cut slots in it for the other 4 strings, but want to dress up the frets a bit first when i get around to it. with the string on it was very playable.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice, the headstock face looks like Brazilian Rosewood, maybe the back too but I can't tell from the one picture.

I have a label-less one from about 100 years ago. Cool find, I only usually buy old video games from the flea market.:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
If its an american made mando as it appears to be . Its probably very made instrument , The Italian made mandos usually did not survive as well . I had an old Stahl Mandolin made by the Larson Brothers and it was incredibly well made and it rung like bell . Yours definitely appears to be brazilian rosewood on the back as was the wood of choice back in those days and not nearly as scarce as nowadays ( actually a protected species via CITES since 1969)and is a great sounding tone wood . Nice fleamarket score for sure .

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi stoptail- thanks-
its definately american made- if you look at the inlay on the pickguard you see in the center a stylized O and S- overlapping each other-
for the oscar schmidt company of new jersey, founded 1871.
ive since found that this was made in 1936. ive always loved the old stellas this company made-
it is obviously well made, very stable and sounds great- in a warm mellow baroque kinda way- but ive yet to experiment with writing any music for it- it is pretty far removed from anything im used to.
thanks for the interest!

·
Registered
14,573 Posts
I always enjoy hearing about these things--whets my appetite for finding something. Except I never find anything, or else it's over priced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
May be a "Laud"

There is a Cuban instrument about the size of a mandolin with 12 strings. It is called a Laud. The strings are tuned in fourths all the way from low to high. One of the players in the Buena Vista Social Club plays one. There are lots of links if you Google the name. I bought one in Cuba. The only way it plays in tune is to use a capo. Most Cuban player I saw did that, whether they were using a guitar or a Tres.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts