The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put flatwounds on a 12 string? I find a twelve strings to be noisy and clangy . I was thinking of trying some light guage flatwounds on my Yamaki. Another reason would be in the hopes that the stings would last longer. I put an expensive set of Martin string on less than a year ago and they look decayed.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still might try it out, I got some cheap flatwounds Xaviere. The adjacent string should give a bit of chime. In the end might be a jazz style acoustic.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Has anyone put flatwounds on a 12 string? I find a twelve strings to be noisy and clangy . I was thinking of trying some light guage flatwounds on my Yamaki. Another reason would be in the hopes that the stings would last longer. I put an expensive set of Martin string on less than a year ago and they look decayed.
If you can get a year out of a set of strings you're doing well. If i'm playing my acoustic regularly I'm lucky to get two or three months.

·
Premium Member
16,822 Posts
A year.….

Good Lord.

If I'm playing a guitar with any regularity a month is about the limit. You can still play them after that, but intonation and tone are terrible.

When I was gigging full time it was twice a week on the electrics and once a week on the acoustic.

When I went to only weekends, it was every gig. A fresh set of strings on a guitar is like a new engine in a car (just my opinion of course).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts