The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else out there?

I fit flatwounds on my archtop and my T-style. I like the smooth feel and I like the "dead" sound. None of them pesky jangles! And no, I don't bend much.

I have become a big fan of Thomastik-Infeld. I have George Benson 14s on my archtop (an L-5):

and T-I Swing 13s on my G&L ASAT Special:

Any other flatwound players out there? When sets do you use, and on what guitars?

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
I tried a TI Swing set (probably 11s; don;t recall) on my Loar before I sold it. Not sure if it was the strings or the guitar but the combo was too middish for my taste; very little treble or bass (not why I sold it; woulda tried different strings if I had kept it).

That said they felt great and the low tension was nice compared to, say, Pyramids, which feel even better to the fingers (supple; almost soft), but are super high tension (some first position chords are much harder to finger), and much more delicate (I have had some quality issues with them, especially the bass strings vs guitar).

A buddy tried D'addario Chromes on his Tele and I am really liking those - I plan to replace the Pyramids on my current archtop acoustic with them and see how that goes.

On bass it's flatwounds only and all but 1 are strung with TIs (stocked up years ago when I had a cheap connect); again I do find them middish (which is why I suspect that was the issue on my Loar) but that's generally a good thing on bass (and not as bad as regards lack of the extremes). Again, I prefer the sound/feel of Pyramids but I've had too many break just wrapping them around the tuning post (always the low E - the core snaps if any of the wrapped part of the string, vs the thread-covered end, has to bend around the post, which is BS INHO; replaced on warranty, but still). Currently have a set of Allparts non-branded flats which a certain luthier led a group buy for and swears by - they are apparently the same as a rather popular brand, but I am not sure which. Even reg price is stupid cheap. Will try those on my vintage LP bass next (actually, it's due for a change and setup now that I think about it).

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
I use Thomastik-Infeld Light Jazz Swing Lights on all of my semi and hollowbody guitars. Lasts for a long time and the tension is balanced through all the strings.

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
D'Addario Chromes on a Gretsch Electromatic, Fender Telecaster, Godin LG, and 4 basses. Love that tone and they last forever.

·
Registered
24,395 Posts
In a feature article on Kenny Wayne Shepherd in this month's Guitar Player, he notes using flatwounds on his Strat. Personally, I haven't used them since before the Beatles broke up.

·
Premium Member
17,339 Posts
I intend to join the club soon. I tried flatwounds several years ago, but I wasn't as focused on learning jazz progressions and scales/modes and trying to get the specific tone to the extent I am now.

I will be following this thread with interest.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW... has anyone ever put La Bella tape wound strings on guitar? (I know they are more popular on bass).

That .067 E string is a killer to pull through some tuner posts, but they have a cool, dark sound. If you are doing fingerstyle jazz, you can get a fat bass sound from thumbing the bass strings.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
That .067 E string is a killer to pull through some tuner posts, .
They have to be that thick - the core wire is thicker than other (metal wound) strings so that your pickups can sense the vibrations. Forget everything you know and prefer about guages when trying tapes.

Haven't tried them, but kinda curious.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They have to be that thick - the core wire is thicker than other (metal wound) strings so that your pickups can sense the vibrations. Forget everything you know and prefer about guages when trying tapes.

Haven't tried them, but kinda curious.
Some folks have said the 12 gauge set is too low tension in the wound strings! I've always used the 14s. Even though they are $$$ they last a long time -- count on replacing the plain strings.

·
Premium Member
17,339 Posts
I have going to Sherwood Music, our local music store, for many years with many various friends. Recently, my friends have been buying things and I told one of the staff that I was saving up the points I should be getting for bringing them all this business and would "cash them in" on strings. I was just teasing them.

This is what they gave me today (I was about to buy them) when my friend bought several cymbals for his drum kit......

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been wanting to try flatwounds. D'Addario makes a set that's sort of halfway between flats and rounds, right?
"Half rounds", They take round wound strings and grind (?) the string so that it's not so bumpy. I tried the 13s years ago:

The problem was on the thicker strings, they didn't grind that much off so it was closer to round than flat and still squeaked quite a lot. It might not be so bad in lighter sets, but I like em heavy.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
aka ground wounds FYI

Get that abomination out of the flatwound thread ;P

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
ABOMINATION the both of them!

( :p) <- that means don't take it too serious fyi.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I bought a guitar with TI flats on it, they seemed pretty old so I replaced the with D'addario Chromes, same gauge etc.

Much to my surprise, the guitar sounded nothing like it did with the TI's, and I mean that in a bad way. I kept the Chomes on for a few days then decided to re-stringwith the used TI's. Big improvement, richer, fuller more dynamic tone.

I've used D'addario XL's forever, great strings. When it comes to flatwounds I would recommend trying a few brands.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts