The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those of you that got them for loud band situations what level attenuation did you get for the filters.

Etymotic seems to be 15 for general use and 25 for brass and amplified instruments.

I want them for loud jams. Drums, bass and PA were loud as hell last time out and my ears are ringing like a shipyard riveter.

I’m thinking 25 filters but wondering how it is with that and what’s it like trying to sing with those.

I have some alpine plugs but they aren’t up to it so might have to cough up the cash for better ones.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts
I got 25 and if they make a 35 I would buy it for my scenario.

I imagine you would be fine with the 25s. I dont notice much until I take them out.

All that said, I dont sing in the band.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I have the removable filters so I can switch between 15 and 25. I use the 15’s for attending loud shows or quieter jams, and the 25’s for louder band situations.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Sorry, I don’t know. I had a local audiologist make them. I think they are pretty standard filters though as I’ve seen them on some other ear plugs.

·
Premium Member
16,569 Posts
Sorry, this is not what you asked, but in my opinion, if you need hearing protection in a band, there’s work to be done from a root cause perspective.

Ear plugs are a band aid, and do not address the real problem.

Additionally, they almost always result in the person using them playing too loud. You put in plugs, hear yourself less and play louder to compensate.

As a sound man the second I see someone wearing them, I know I’ll be dealing with excessive stage volumes.

I have a custom made pair, but I wear them at shows I am NOT directly involved with (ie. as an audience member.).

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts
Disagree. You should be wearing plugs if things are louder than talking volume with high end, which is... every drum kit with cymbals.

Please direct me to the drum kit with real cymbals that does not require ear plugs.

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
I was suggested long ago:

Put your earplugs in while getting from your car to the jam room and during setup. This way there’s not a marked contrast in the volume by inserting them just before the first chord.

In following this, I find that the new norm becomes the (-15 or -25 i.e.).

I use the etymotic baby blues or regular er-20. A while ago I got 50 sets at a bull discount. Sold 25 at 100% profit and gave away the other 25 to friends.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I had a custom set done a few years ago and believe they are 22. I have bought off the shelf ones from different companies and found them to be adequate.

·
Premium Member
16,569 Posts
Disagree. You should be wearing plugs if things are louder than talking volume with high end, which is... every drum kit with cymbals.

Please direct me to the drum kit with real cymbals that does not require ear plugs.
If the loudest source of sound on your stage is a cymbal I’ll eat my shirt.

And if everything except the cymbals were reduced to just a bit above talking volume we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

I’ve seen too many guys wear hearing protection and then proceed to slaughter everyone around them by paying loud enough to overcome their own plugs.

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts
If the loudest source of sound on your stage is a cymbal I’ll eat my shirt.

And if everything except the cymbals were reduced to just a bit above talking volume we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

I’ve seen too many guys wear hearing protection and then proceed to slaughter everyone around them by paying loud enough to overcome their own plugs.
If everything was just above talking volume, the cymbals would wash everything out with every hit. And for those of us playing heavier than smooth jazz, those cymbal hits happen pretty frequently.

I wore earplugs in high school. Every high school gig resulted in being told people couldnt hear me. I have seen a few local shows where I struggled to hear some of the instruments despite knowing the room is decent.

All that said, some genres are just loud. Posthardcore, doom - very high volume.

·
Premium Member
16,569 Posts
If everything was just above talking volume, the cymbals would wash everything out with every hit. And for those of us playing heavier than smooth jazz, those cymbal hits happen pretty frequently.

I wore earplugs in high school. Every high school gig resulted in being told people couldnt hear me. I have seen a few local shows where I struggled to hear some of the instruments despite knowing the room is decent.

All that said, some genres are just loud. Posthardcore, doom - very high volume.
I understand what you’re saying, but my experience just doesn’t match yours. The worst thing in my opinion is a guy who naturally plays loud (most drummers) wearing plugs. It’s a no brainer that he or she will play even louder with the plugs.

When I see a band all wearing plugs I know what I’m in for generally.

The quietest and most perfect mix I have ever had is using IEMs.

No amps, electronic drums and IEMs = perfect balance of volume and exactly the mix you choose.

Good IEMs both protect and provide the mix.

·
Premium Member
16,569 Posts
As an addendum, Plexi drum shields can work wonders in reducing stage volumes, and after all, if we’re sincerely trying to protect our hearing, reducing the source of the damage should be a priority no?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Great chart !
Take note that these treshold values would protect more than 97% of people with almost daily exposure : Some exceptionally sensitive people would suffer hearing loss after ten years of regular exposure to these treshold numbers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had some custom molded units made a year ago and I have 15 and 25 filters for them. I haven't used the 25's as of yet. They work great. I also use a decibel metre when we are setting up for either rehearsal or live. I listen to the drums on the metre and we adjust from there to match up as much as possible and tweak from there. Not scientific at all but it works nicely to keep us balanced and not one person blowing out the other. Usually, I'll listen for a short bit without the plugs on to see if everything is somewhat in balance.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
I got customs with 9db. I want to knock down the cymbals mostly, and take out the owie from any hard spikes out of the PA or anywhere. In a quiet jam, I'll only wear 1, on the side where the drummer is.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I think if I was doing it again I'd get 20.
I've tried 25 and it's just too much in my opinion.
You still have to be able to hear.
My plugs have 22 and I wish I'd gotten 20.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts