The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I have the strat ones in a guitar. They are great. They are not that fun for wiring them when you are a beginner.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Also side note. I didn't get the battery pack, I just use a 9volt, because I wanted to see how long it would last before spending the extra on the battery back plate. I put the battery in last June and it's still working fine.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also side note. I didn't get the battery pack, I just use a 9volt, because I wanted to see how long it would last before spending the extra on the battery back plate. I put the battery in last June and it's still working fine.
Yeah, Greg Koch said battery is good for more than 300 hours of playing time!

(Look at the video, he's funny as hell!)

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
Why is there a screen shot of Sim City on the back of your bridge pickup? :D

But seriously, I must have walked past the Fishman booth at NAMM a dozen times, but didn't take the time out to try the Fluence PUs. Regretting that decision now, but it was so damn busy there, I forgive myself.

Pickup-makers go to great lengths to provide consistent products. That's the primary challenge for them. Any fool can wind magnet wire around a core of some type. The pickups I make for myself are ample evidence of that. But can you wind wire around a core seven or eight thousand times, and do it the same way every time, every day, for every customer so that they know what they are getting? THAT is the hurdle to clear. The Fishman approach provides a way of solving that problem. I salute their ingenuity.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Why is there a screen shot of Sim City on the back of your bridge pickup? :D

But seriously, I must have walked past the Fishman booth at NAMM a dozen times, but didn't take the time out to try the Fluence PUs. Regretting that decision now, but it was so damn busy there, I forgive myself.

Pickup-makers go to great lengths to provide consistent products. That's the primary challenge for them. Any fool can wind magnet wire around a core of some type. The pickups I make for myself are ample evidence of that. But can you wind wire around a core seven or eight thousand times, and do it the same way every time, every day, for every customer so that they know what they are getting? THAT is the hurdle to clear. The Fishman approach provides a way of solving that problem. I salute their ingenuity.
It was the first set of pickups I had wired, and not just swapped. It wasn't a good choice for the first set.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I have been using Fluence Strat pickups for a few years on and off... I recently realized that they are my favourite pickups, period. And I am a vintage guy... on the clean side they also kill. And you roll back the volume and they sound exactly the same - but without a goofy cap.
They are completely devoid of noise or hum. The notch positions on a Strat are God-like ... and I don’t usually use 2 and 4. There are no weaknesses! I wired the tones to the bridge and neck ala Eric Johnson... (one wire to solder).
You can buy a pre-wired harness off eBay so it makes it easy. The battery lasts forever, but I do generally get the Li-Ion battery pack back plate... Greg Koch’s new Reverend signature Tele has Fluence pickups.
I have owned and played many many vintage guitars, and my Warmoth Strat w Fluence pickups is the pinnacle imho.
These pickups are the bees knees!!!!

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I’m also a confirmed “vintage guy” who likes the Fishman Strat pickups quite a bit.

Last year @bluehugh2 and I did a blind tone test that included a Danocaster, a couple Ltd. Edition CS Strats & a Warmoth build with Fishmans. The Partugese guitar was consistently as good as the other more expensive Strats in all positions.

The 50s setting is fairly bright, which can be a good thing at times, and the 60s setting is like kicking on a fat boost.

·
Registered
569 Posts
There was a great Wampler Chasing Tone podcast where they talked to the guy who invented them. I'll see if I can find which one it was.

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
I was at a L+M event that featured Greg Koch and Fishman. he demo’ed for quite some time while doing stand up comedy.....Funny as hell. I found the humbuckers on the bright side but really liked the single coils. I was ready to buy but the Fishman crew did not have any sets to sell (still puzzled about that one).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts