The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how irritating new comers to a forum can be, so let me say I did search this forum. I spent days reading back through amp posts to about 2013. I now have data overload. And I'm still going to ask a dumb which amp question!!

I'm looking for a small amp head to pair with a 2x12 cab, probably a Traynor Dark horse cab. I'm looking for a clean sound for blues and classic rock that I can use pedals with when needed.

Strictly for home use but in a huge room plus I live in the country so no volume concerns.

The amps I'm interested in are the Tube meister 18, Dark Horse or Iron horse. Another choice is a 5 year old YCS 50H a guy is selling locally for $500 but is just too much for an intermediate player like me.

I'm open to any and all thoughts, ideas, suggestions or general abuse and harrassment.

Thanks

Brad

·
Premium Member
3,367 Posts
Brad! Welcome bud!
IMO, repeat, "in MY opinion " the Iron Horse (40 watts?) is a great clean platform for pedals, more than the 15w Dark & 18w Tubemeister. (Although, the blue glow of the H&K is pretty, I was drawn in like a fly to the blue light....)

So you have a 212 cab already?

The guy is asking a bit too much for the YCS, again, IMO.

Can you go to the L&M (Traynor distributor) to try the 3 different heads out? Grab a guitar that's like yours, a few pedals to try & make an afternoon of it.

Sent from my "other" other brain.

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I recently picked up an Iron Horse and I'm loving it!
They average around $400 used.
The 'clean' mode stays clean no matter how high you turn it up.
I like using the 'pure' mode (it has a lovely crunch), which is switchable (toggle or foot) for a 'solo' oomph.
40 watts, yes. Also switchable to 15 watts.
Switch on the back for 4/8 ohm.
I couldn't tell you how it takes pedals, I don't use them.
I don't have any experience with the other amps you mentioned.
Hopefully, someone will chime in and fill in those blanks for you.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I love my YCS however that's a lot of money for just the head. If you can get him down on the price ..you already have a cab, it's a nice set up. Nice cleans and into Marshall territory. Hard rock, metal, blues. you get an off a lot of bang with your buck with the YCS series.

I cannot vote for the other two however I hear good things about both

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The only thing I did not like about the Tubemeister 18 was the voicing of the lead channel. Could not EQ out to a crunch that I liked.
The clean channel was amazing. clear and sparkly. The DI out for going to the mixer sounded very very good as well, Which is something you'd have to add to a traynor in the form of a H&K Red Box.

No experience with the Traynor

·
Premium Member
17,011 Posts
What's the budget and what are the volume restrictions?

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
I'm looking for a clean sound for blues and classic rock that I can use pedals with when needed.

Strictly for home use but in a huge room plus I live in the country so no volume concerns.
Considering these, I don't know if the options the H&K gives you would be necessary (lots of channel switching, power scaling, etc). The Red Box is apparently quite good if you are into home recording, but there are other solutions for that, too. But it doesn't sound like you really need any of that.

As for build quality, I would go Traynor all day long. Just pick up a TM and DH. I think the weight difference speaks to the quality of chassis, transformers, etc. The DH and IH are great blues/rock amps. I would also look at older handwired Traynors, if you can find one for a good price. The secret seems to be out on the Left Coast - harder to find and they aren't so cheap any more. If you could get that YCS for <$400, that's an amp you could grow in to. I've seen them used at L&M for under $400.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice so far, really appreciated. Just to clarify, no volume restrictions, The nearest neighbors are 100 meters away in heavy forest.

My budget for head and cab is around $1200. I've tried out a friends DH 2x12 cab and really like it but may rent the Traynor YBX 212 if it's available. So I'm pretty sure I'll buy either one of those cabs leaving $600-$700 for the amp head.

Both the Iron Horse and Darkhorse appeal to me as they have all the features I want and the sound clips are what I'm looking for. Whatever I buy I'll be keeping for a longtime so reliability and repairability is important. Recording and gigging are not on my agenda but I'm looking for a tube amp that I can really grow with.

I've been back and forth via email with the guy selling the YCS 50H. He bought the amp and 2 4x12 cabs 5 years ago from L+M for $2600 with tax. He's fixated on wanting $500 for the head and $500 for each cab. From photo's they look to be near new condition but who knows what's going on inside? But all he sees is how much he's "losing" from what he paid new.

The point has been reached where my Mustang I with it's 8 inch speaker is irritating me everyday when I pick up my guitar. I practice 2 hours a day and spend an hour on technique, the Mustang is great. I then play and improvise for an hour or two and really have some fun and the Mustang isn't so great anymore.

Thanks for the info, it all helps

·
Premium Member
17,011 Posts
If you dont have volume restrictions, that kind of budget will get you a pretty decent amp.

A fender of sorts and traynor 212 should fit in that budget. I would be looking at that route personally.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Thanks for all the advice so far, really appreciated. Just to clarify, no volume restrictions, The nearest neighbors are 100 meters away in heavy forest.

My budget for head and cab is around $1200. I've tried out a friends DH 2x12 cab and really like it but may rent the Traynor YBX 212 if it's available. So I'm pretty sure I'll buy either one of those cabs leaving $600-$700 for the amp head.

Both the Iron Horse and Darkhorse appeal to me as they have all the features I want and the sound clips are what I'm looking for. Whatever I buy I'll be keeping for a longtime so reliability and repairability is important. Recording and gigging are not on my agenda but I'm looking for a tube amp that I can really grow with.

I've been back and forth via email with the guy selling the YCS 50H. He bought the amp and 2 4x12 cabs 5 years ago from L+M for $2600 with tax. He's fixated on wanting $500 for the head and $500 for each cab. From photo's they look to be near new condition but who knows what's going on inside? But all he sees is how much he's "losing" from what he paid new.

The point has been reached where my Mustang I with it's 8 inch speaker is irritating me everyday when I pick up my guitar. I practice 2 hours a day and spend an hour on technique, the Mustang is great. I then play and improvise for an hour or two and really have some fun and the Mustang isn't so great anymore.

Thanks for the info, it all helps

He's out to lunch. I picked up a YCS90 212 20w/90/w for under $550 with warranty. No matter what you want, if long and mcquade has it, even used, they will ship it to your nearest location for only a few bucks more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where on the Island are you? Do you get to Nanaimo?
I live in the wild boonie land of East Sooke. Had a very large cougar looking in our living room window the other evening.

Only get up to Naniamo a few times a year, I have elderly parents in Victoria so stick close to home.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
just found this at L&M Local store deal section:
TRAYNOR YGM3 20W TUBE GUITAR AMP
A hand-wired amplifier reissue made in Canada with a Jensen P12Q Alnico Magnet speaker.

**PLEASE CALL TO CHECK AVAILABILITY**
Sale Price: $549.00Original Price: $1125.00
Model: YGM3Sku: 295611Serial: 8099426Quantity Available: 1Condition: Used
Email: [email protected].comPhone: (250) 716-7261

might be interesting for you?

·
Premium Member
17,011 Posts
For $1200 at home, buy a fender twin for $800 dump $150 into a good dirt pedal and bank the rest.

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
Considering the OP's initial requirements, a Twin wouldn't be anywhere on my shopping list. Too heavy, too much power - I'd never take it out anywhere and if I did I couldn't use half that power. And they only do clean.

I never run out of headroom, even playing outdoors, with 50 watts. Twins sound great as clean platforms, but for $1200, I would go shopping for used amps in Victoria or over here. You can find something that is a clean platform but has a good distortion channel (or two) as well. I think he's on the right track with his initial post (Traynor) but there are other options. Lots of used inventory in the Lower Mainland, if he's willing to spend the day driving a bit (Tom Lee and L&M in North Van, Van, Richmond, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam - 8 or 9 stores without going too far out) and has educated himself enough to pull the trigger when he finds the one .

1 - 20 of 36 Posts