The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a mesa guy. I was at D.C. Studios jamming without any pedals. Nice enough spot. The sound was good. Convenient location right by 6points in etobicoke (kippling and Dundas, Toronto )

Started with a jcm900. Though that would have been the way to go. (I also thought I was recording the whole jam on my zoom H2N which ended up not being on. Doh!! )

The 900 wasn't bad. Since the triple rec was there, I decided to try it.

Here we're the settings. (There was no pedal to switch between Channels so I left it in 2). (I took the pick of the controls to make sure I could dial in the same tone next time. )

It was going through a 4x12". My drummer buddy is a tone/gear head as well. We were both mesmerized by this amp. Not like it kills my best hand built amp BUT it was still putting out the goods in a kick ass - no prisoners kinda way.

Here's the guitar I was playing.

They're MJS hand would pickups. PAF 7.6 and 8.0.

What is your theory as to why this might have been such an awakening? First time for me to be able to dial in a complicated amp.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm gong back next time and we're gonna multitrack in all and sell some gold records. HNG^%$^)@#.

Btw anyone wanna trade me a black hb pickups ring for 2 v-picks lmk. I can pm the height. Probably standard. They're both the same height. I want another black. Or silver.

Which do y'all think would look better?

·
Premium Member
16,629 Posts
Go to the mesa site and read the manual on the eq.

I basically left the bass at 0 any time i was in modern mode. That said i use guitars that are mostly mahogany.

But yeah, read the manual to understand the eq. Its not your usual tone stack.

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Justin.

You know I feel funny saying this but I have no inclination to use anything else until I feel bored.

I will get there eventually. I also don't think that it is motivating me to buy one (I don't think). Depends on what it does to my creativity. I enjoy gear for that reason too.

Not to start too many tópicos in one. But I'm not convinced that the wood has much of an effect on tone. Maybe 10%. Also quite a few debates about this already.

Ciao amigo. Glad to see that you're touring.

Lmk if you ever wanna jam.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Never tried a Triple before so nothing to that.

I m more interested in what you think of the 900 since I m starting to love mine more and more as I find the sweet spots on it.

Also, I personaly feel that the wood does make more of a difference in the voice of the guitar... Having multiples of the same model were the wood is the major difference in tone.

·
Premium Member
11,616 Posts
I'm not a mesa guy. I was at D.C. Studios jamming without any pedals. Nice enough spot. The sound was good. Convenient location right by 6points in etobicoke (kippling and Dundas, Toronto )

What is your theory as to why this might have been such an awakening? First time for me to be able to dial in a complicated amp.
Perhaps it was that someone else had it set up already and you lucked into his settings? Maybe your guitar was similar enough to his that it just worked for you?

There's so many tones in a Dual Rec (same as a Triple, with 3 less tubes, basically) that it's easy to find some bad ones in amongst the good ones.

I found the raw/vintage/modern channels on my DR to be quite dark. I could get great tones using my bridge pup but not so much on my neck pup, and I'm mostly a neck pup kinda guy - I usually set up amps based on that. Maybe you approach things the same way?

So maybe just the right guitar setup worked with the amp the way it was?

Btw anyone wanna trade me a black hb pickups ring for 2 v-picks lmk. I can pm the height. Probably standard. They're both the same height. I want another black. Or silver.

Which do y'all think would look better?
Black, IMO.

Reactions: sambonee
1 - 6 of 6 Posts