The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never attempted a guitar mod.

Here is a Junior I bought to help a friend. $75. Serial number starts with 13... (unknown chinese factory).

I can't get a useful sound out of any bridge-only guitar. Not my thing.

Here are the pickups from my first guitar. Sixties, Japanese, Eaton's catalogue. Not the actual pickups, but acquired at a flea market a few years ago. The rest of the guitar was thrown away.

A "marriage-made-in-hell".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,099 Posts
What mod are you going to do?
Put the entire white pickguard assembly onto the guitar?
That seems like a challenging mod...especially as it is your first.

Good Luck!

Post lots of pics of your progress.

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This will need routing I would say, at least for the switches and the volume pot.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
No DEEP routing. So guitar shouldn't fall apart anyway. Switches will go where the current pots are, along with a volume pot. The tone control is the switch with the two caps.

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What mod are you going to do?
Put the entire white pickguard assembly onto the guitar?
That seems like a challenging mod...especially as it is your first.

Good Luck!

Post lots of pics of your progress.
New pickguard or... maybe none! A crappy look could be just the ticket here.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No DEEP routing. So guitar shouldn't fall apart anyway. Switches will go where the current pots are, along with a volume pot. The tone control is the switch with the two caps.
Routing is routing, no matter how you cut it. Have you used one before? Hope you have a good template and its secured to the body well or zing!!! Big gouge in that guitar. I'm talking from experience. I know it's a solid body, it won't break in half.

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
Maybe the best solution is a compromise between the current pickup and one of the Zen-Ons. That would involve cutting a spot in the pickguard to surface mount one of the pickups flush with the body (assuming height permits, and working out a switching arrangement. I'm guessing that the existing bridge PU is likely much higher output than the Zen-On units. In which case, a coil-cancelling arrangement would be desirable when combining both pickups.

Sadly, there is very-limited-to-no room in the existing control cavity for a pickup switch, although you could install one of these between the volume and tone, without having to route: 3-way Import Switch - Cream Additionally, a push-pull tone pot would allow for cancelling one of the bridge pickup coils. Ideally, the coil that remains active would be reversed with the neck pickup to achieve hum-rejection when they are both on.

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Routing is routing, no matter how you cut it. Have you used one before? Hope you have a good template and its secured to the body well or zing!!! Big gouge in that guitar. I'm talking from experience. I know it's a solid body, it won't break in half.

Yeah, worked for a cabinet-maker for a while before going back to welding. Have the router table, etc.

NOTE: I just repeated that no DEEP routing was req'd (you mis-read "no routing"). Don't doubt me, bro. I am not posing as a luthier. Just wanna hear how it sounds. I can throw the whole works in the garbage now, or have some winter fun. Gouge? I laff...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, worked for a cabinet-maker for a while before going back to welding. Have the router table, etc.

NOTE: I just repeated that no DEEP routing was req'd (you mis-read "no routing"). Don't doubt me, bro. I am not posing as a luthier. Just wanna hear how it sounds. I can throw the whole works in the garbage now, or have some winter fun. Gouge? I laff...
Calm down man. I wasn't aware of your experience. Sorry I gave you my opinion. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Calm down man. I wasn't aware of your experience. Sorry I gave you my opinion. Good luck.

Lol. Don't be sorry. All in an afternoon's fun. My apology likewise. Thanks for the interest. Please stay tuned.

(BTW, Anyone assuming this will be a real hack job is correct.)

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
String instrument Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Plucked string instruments
Maybe the best solution is a compromise between the current pickup and one of the Zen-Ons.
Great suggestion. I thought of using just one, but I think the path of least resistance is keep everything on the current plastic with the current wiring:

The latest plan is to dissect the pickguard and re-arrange the pieces accordingly...

Jack soldered on. Pickups tested, they all work and sound good! Rhythm position on tone switch reveals bad cap (the lower one in photo with white crap). The lead cap works.

Should I remove and jump the bad cap (no tone control?), or remove and leave open (off switch?). Just guessing here, don't know nothin'.

String instrument Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Plucked string instruments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Seems like a fun little project! Different looking too!

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will you have to raise the stop tail due to the height of the pickups?
The pickups are not surface mount as previously stated. The "wings" are attached to the top of the pickguard. The pickup can be adjusted up and down on machine screws. If necessary, I will chisel off a ply or two under the pickguard. Good eye @greco .

·
Premium Member
19,099 Posts
It reminds me of when I did this.

Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments
If you have to lower the pickguard by chiselling into the body, might I suggest that you trim it to reduce the amount of work.
To late, I have already suggested it.

I'm enjoying this thread...Can you tell!!??

1 - 20 of 41 Posts