The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just couldent help myself i purchased a guitar today.

Yamaha Pacifica 012 -----------------$259
Marshall Amp MG Series 15CD---------$139

was this worth it?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Pacificas are decent guitars.. you could do far worse. Yamaha doesn't have a very sexy rep in North America but they've been in the game a long time and they tend to go for strong build quality and an understated look. You did pretty good for a first guitar, methinks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Good choice for your first axe, although you could've gotten away with paying less getting more through ebay, although thats not always an option for everyone. I think used stuff is best esspecially when you starting off. The MG was definetly not the greatest choice, if it were half the price ok... you should've gotten an Epiphone Valve Jr... best possible amp for the money ever, and it literally kills any solid state amp under 500, and its only 100. The think rips with an overdrive pedal.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
RenvasMarshall Amp MG Series 15CD---------$139 was this worth it?[/QUOTE said:
I have one and I am not impressed - it was my first purchase after quiting for a few decades.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yamaha makes some nice guitars, you did good there. As for the Marshall not my cup of tea but they are about 110 US new or seen them on craiglist for 70-80 dollars. If your playing takes off the Marshall will likely be replaced in the future but for now get playing and enjoy....:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I think you did pretty good with the guitar. Once you get going you'll realize what you love and/or hate about the guitar which will make your next purchase so educated that you'll end up with a guitar you absolutely 100% LOVE.

Marshall SS amps suck... their hybrids are decent and their tube amps are in-****ing-credible (except the JCM2000 IMO). But you know what? It doesn't matter. 'Cause if you're like any other guitarist in the world you're going to end up upgrading.

The most important thing is that you took that first step and bought the required gear to get going. You wouldn't believe how many people sit and dwell on what gear to get without even touching a guitar in the past. So mad props to you for that.

Congrats on the gear and choosing an insanely fun hobby, post us some pics!

·
Registered
102 Posts
you did good on the guitar, yamaha makes quality instruments.

you could have done far worst on the guitar,
( jay turser,simon,wensen,johnson are just a couple example of what
p.o.s. you could have bought) or god forbid an ibanez or squier starter pack.

for the amp, you could have done better tough.
( roland cube,vox da5,peavey valveking,epiphone valve jr)
would have all been better choices.

when you upgrade to a bigger and better amp, the marshall mg
will become useless while the others would have become great
practice amps.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Comments are about right about 'wanting to upgrade' your amp in the future. It was about six months into playing that I realized the Marshall MG15CD wasn't good enough for me anymore. I didn't mind the clean channel, but the OD does suck. I found that an OD pedal into the clean channel worked better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
not trying to be negative just looking at it from experience.

hey fellas nice place you have going,personally the amp is good starter,the yamaha gonna sound like shiet thru it.I dont want to be negative but,now it depends on how dedicated to learning guitar u are gonna be,you just wanna learn a few songs to impress the ladys then the yamaha will do.If you are gonna be serious about the guitar and really learn the magic,drop that scrap wood,sell it,take the money and GO get A BFG Gibson.For starters a new player needs a stop style tail piece,no floating crap,newbie trys any bends and that junk will never tone up,and pull the other strings out.You need consistancy of tone to train your ear,unless you are super gifted in which case you would already know that Yamaha hasnt got any serious,consistent all over the board tone.At least the BFG all tho highly unfinished cosmetically,is a rock and roll flamethrower for sure,serious tone to train your ear, consistent tone.Forget about bolt ons,even copys,No bull The real deal,I screwed around for years till i got my first Les Paul,You will end up getting one anyway or may a maybe a decent older Fender.I know money is an issue probably but sell the yamaha get an acoustic you gonna need one anyway.Warm up on an acoustic,shred on your Gibson.1000 canadian for the BFG,seen one on ebay 850 ish i think, could be wrong,personally I'd buy a Pink Vixen I seen on a want ad brand new 800 candian before I'd buy another guitar with no decent tone,and that Vixen Gibsons are geared to women.Listen bud I'm sure youll do fine with the yamaha not trying to burst your bubble,I guess only you can answer whether buying this thing WAS it a Fashion statement or a Function statement.I just know how much of your time you gonna waste on the latter.Well thats all folks. My First Post.Great forum

Mister

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pacifica is a great start

I bought a Yamaha Pacifica 112 last September for my first guitar. I love it!

Although there are more expensive guitars out there, the Pacifica is a great start, I believe, because of its versatility: humbucker on the bridge, but two single coils on the middle and neck. They don't have the sexy reputation of a Strat or Gibson, but I think they are good guitars nonetheless, especially when starting out. You bought a lot of guitar for the money.

After several months of playing, you'll be more confident at the music store when it comes time to try different guitars, and you'll have a better idea of what you are looking for and the type of music you are playing -- you may find you enjoy playing different types of music than you anticipated when purchasing your first guitar.

A SS amp may not be great for high volumes, but for bedroom practice at the beginning, it will be just fine.

enjoy your new instrument!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts