Registered
1,720 Posts
Go man, go !
Have fun !

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
Those are long songs!

Have fun! Remember, the audience doesnt know what you do.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
If your glasses are for near-sightedness, take em off and don't wear them on stage. Don't focus on the crowd (corporate gigs can suck because it's a often a normally well lit room vs a dark bar). Get lost in the music and everything else will fall into place. Break a leg.

Incidentally I also have a gig at work today. Not me first though. Department Christmas party, and my team is doing 3 songs. Choir with 2 guitars, so that's allowed me to dumb down the part I'm playing and keep beat with a hihat I brought in.

·
Registered
24,661 Posts
Just a word or two: Stage-diving at work-related gigs is generally frowned upon. And try to avoid "wardrobe malfunctions". They make for a rather uncomfortable Monday morning.

·
Premium Member
4,481 Posts
My after work band is playing our first gig tomorrow at the company holiday lunch. This is my first gig ever (I'm 55). Four songs, 17 min of terror. Oh I have to sing lead as well. Can't wait.
Start with something easy and make sure you get there early to warm up. No one will notice you making mistakes so have fun!

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
You're right. CHICKS, man.

Wait, aren't there workplace policies against that?
Sorry, for just a minute I was wearing my 70s rose coloured glasses, when political correctness had not yet poisoned society.

Ok, instead of chicks, let's go with valued colleagues of all genders.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Start with something easy and make sure you get there early to warm up. No one will notice you making mistakes so have fun!
This! I have to remind myself that people are rooting for you. They're in your corner. They want you to do well, not watching for every little mistake. Entertain them! Think about the praise that's coming later.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Congrats! Have a great time. Just tell yourself that you know the material, it's no different on-stage than in the practice room. Once you get going, it'll get much easier.

Also, find something to do while you're waiting! This was my biggest problem early-on. I always got antsy waiting-around to start, so make sure you have something to occupy your time - tuning guitars, dusting the pedalboard so it looks great, hand-writing a setlist, anything that will keep you busy until it's time to start.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh wow, that was so much fun! A few little gaffs but nothing terrible. Got lots of positive comments. I screwed up the second verse of Down by the River, so I added the madness and sorrow line to the 3rd verse. Worked well and my band mates were impressed! Final count was 412 people. I need to figure out how to do that more often!

Thanks for the support folks.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Oh wow, that was so much fun! A few little gaffs but nothing terrible. Got lots of positive comments. I screwed up the second verse of Down by the River, so I added the madness and sorrow line to the 3rd verse. Worked well and my band mates were impressed! Final count was 412 people. I need to figure out how to do that more often!

Thanks for the support folks.
That's a big ass crowd! Well done

1 - 20 of 22 Posts