The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow, my dad and I are doing a set at the Open Tuning Festival in Toronto. It's a mix of blues, folk and rock songs, which we'll sing and play on acoustics and/or electrics. We've been practicing for a while and we've got the songs nailed down fairly well, but I have no idea how it's gonna go when I stand up in front of people to sing. I've done it a few times before at Winter Folk Camp in Haliburton, but this is the first time in front of actual strangers. I hope my voice doesn't squeak or crack LOL

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No gig goes without mistakes. Most likely you notice it more than others. Just learn to carry on.

The only way to get over the jitters is to just keep playing live.
Thanks. I've done stage shows many times as either a performer, dancer or MC/host, but singing and playing is a whole different feeling.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Have fun!

No gig goes perfectly but the audience won't notice if you don't draw attention to any mistakes. I've had shows where I thought I was terrible, lots of mistakes, and afterwards people come up and tell me how good I was. Whatever happens soldier on and it will work out.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Forgot to mention take at least one extra of everything that you might need. Extra cables for guitars and mics, DI box, batteries, amp, guitar, strings, etc. People think I'm weird when I show up at an open mic with a pack sack that includes two of everything I might need. Then when something of theirs goes south just before the show they are asking to borrow mine :)

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
Forgot to mention take at least one extra of everything that you might need. Extra cables for guitars and mics, DI box, batteries, amp, guitar, strings, etc. People think I'm weird when I show up at an open mic with a pack sack that includes two of everything I might need. Then when something of theirs goes south just before the show they are asking to borrow mine :)
I don't even count on the electricity to work....I showed up at a gig once and non of the outlets worked.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We’re going to be outside of the Mission House on Manning Ave, supposedly with power and a PA. I’m taking my acoustic and electric, an amp for each, my mic and other accessories (stands, cables, pedals etc.) Luckily, the weather looks like it’ll be nice. Last year, my dad and his buddies were on a front porch, but I don’t think we’ll have a roof this time.

If disaster strikes and there’s no power, I’ll be fine with just the acoustic. I’m really only playing the ES-335 because I want to, as I could do the whole thing with my acoustic and be fine.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,414 Posts
We’re going to be outside of the Mission House on Manning Ave, supposedly with power and a PA.
For a 30 percent management fee I can book you in front of a liquor store in TO 300 nights a year... lol

·
Premium Member
26,629 Posts
In an interview with James Taylor I once read, he said that he starts off sets with a song he could play even if a tiger was chewing his leg off. I think that's great advice. It's good to start off with something that confirms your competence to yourself as well as to the audience. We tend to underestimate how pivotal it is for us to feel confident and comfortable. The flashy stuff, and more extended stage patter, can be saved for later on when you've warmed up a bit.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Tom Petty use to turn around away from the audience as he suffered from stage fright just remember you are there not just for them but yourself and your dad its not only about entertainment but sharing your love of the music and yep the first time will be like the last time but enjoy yourself's and the folks out there will enjoy it with you.
Every time I played out in front of folks I always started off nervous as shit and once I saw them enjoying it it faded into the background and even when I made mistakes I just carried on and kept playing it got to the point where no one really noticed including my band mates.
I am 100% sure that you will nail it my friend

·
Premium Member
4,655 Posts
Being able to play with your dad is just wonderful. Wishing you both a fantastic gig and just be yourself and enjoy the day. I know when i get to play with my son we just have a great time.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
"I get to do this."

I stole that phrase from Jerry Cantrell and have it on my pedalboards. To remind me that it is an honor to do this, and not a chore. Remember, you are most likely the best guitar player / singer in the room. Everyone wants to hear you and enjoy it. I feel sorry for standup comics - I think their environment is much different. Our audience wants to have fun and wants us to succeed (for the most part, anyways).

Text Font Black Darkness Photograph

Reactions: jdto
1 - 20 of 29 Posts