The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
ofender said:
Is a firewire device *better* than a usb device to hook up musical instruments to a pc/mac?

According to wikipedia, "Perhaps more importantly, FireWire makes full use of all SCSI capabilities and, compared to USB 2.0 High Speed, has higher sustained data transfer rates, a feature especially important for audio and video editors."

Actually if you can find Firewire 800 audio devices and adapter cards it is the way to go. Twice as fast as 400. Either way Firewire seems to be more of an industry standard. I have my Onyx on one Firewire controller and my recording HD on another Firewire 800 controller and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
ofender said:
What do you mean by a dedicated controller?

Edit: Wouldn't the Firewire unit be the controller itself?
No, the firewire controller is in your computer between the firewire port and your system bus. The audio interface unit is just a firewire device that knows how to talk/handshake via the firewire protocol.

Same principals apply to USB, but they come with hubs that allow many devices to share the same controller. Of course they all then need to play nice and not steal bandwidth at inappropriate times.

Audio recording at higher bit and sample rates is pretty data intensive and that's why I recommend a dedicated firewire controller for your interface. Zero chance of other devices getting in the way then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.