The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you like Firefox, turn off updates. Version 56.2 is the last good version most likely for ever. The 57.xx is a completely new program they call Quantum that has killed a lot of what was good. I went with it and it was buggy, videos stopped playing, etc.

I did some research and it seems like there are many unhappy people. It also includes embedded video capture which allows recorded spying on unsuspecting users. I was able to downgrade to 56.2 with a little research. There were still a few bugs remaining, but nothing too serious.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
As much as I want to support a semi-independent browser and even noting the fact that I have friends as Firefox developers, the performance issues on modern interactive websites made me switch to Chrome and not look back. I think Firefox is trying to come back to relevance, but they might be succumbing to the age old “your product design decisions are comspicuously idiotic” problem that most products experience.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stream videos and they would not work, and rarely when they did if I paused or jumped ahead or behind they stopped and would not start. Bunch of other issues. Another thing I do is have multiple windows and tabs open. If I close them down, when I go to open again the history will only open the last one. What I do is use Task Manager and under processes I right click on Firefox and click "End process Tree". This doesn't work with Quantum. There is no way I could find other than restarting that will close all windows and then open them all on restart.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That may have something to do with it,but I'm no expert.

I'm using 10
I have a friend who is a computer professional that also owns a recording studio. He went to Win10 and is now going back to win7 for his recording studio computer because it is constantly updating and causing his software to fail, usually when a client is in for a recording session. He has even written code to prevent this, but win10 will erase the code and update... I stayed with win7.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I guess I got lucky, I'm on vista so no longer qualify for anything beyond 52.5.2 ESR.
My dad is on win7 though and he got updated to quantum. Came to me with some crazy story about something getting in his computer and trashing all his mht files. Turns out the new firefox quantum dropped mht add-on capability. Total incompetence, many people have vast archives of webpages saved in mht format, now they have to use chrome or IE to view them.
Seems to me they changed the whole architecture with regard to add-ons as well, so many are no longer compatible with quantum.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I got lucky, I'm on vista so no longer qualify for anything beyond 52.5.2 ESR.
My dad is on win7 though and he got updated to quantum. Came to me with some crazy story about something getting in his computer and trashing all his mht files. Turns out the new firefox quantum dropped mht add-on capability. Total incompetence, many people have vast archives of webpages saved in mht format, now they have to use chrome or IE to view them.
Seems to me they changed the whole architecture with regard to add-ons as well, so many are no longer compatible with quantum.
I was reading and it seems like they may have done some backroom deal and sold out. There are other open source versions that are available like Waterfox. I found the last version 56.2 of Firefox and turned off downloads. I then updated the Quantum to the older version 56.2 and all is almost well.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I know when I first got the upgrade(or it might have even been before the upgrade) I got a notice about some add-ons might not be compatable right away.
Sure enough,after the upgrade one of mine didn't work,but within a day or two that was rectified .

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Wow, ditch Win7, it's an old memory hog. 8.1 would be better if you don't want to go Win10 (but Win10 would be much better).
Sorry, that is not even slightly good advice. No universe exists where Win 8.1 is better than anything later than Win2000 (well, Vista WAS worse than 8.1, but not by much). Win10 is one big spyware, that’s my biggest issue with it, but otherwise it’s ok, stable enough. Win7 still the best MS operating system, however.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
LOL. If you want to talk about spying on users and then tell me how great Chrome is, are you even serious bra? Do you even lift?

I upgraded and it's more stable than before. Maybe yer comp is just infested with other crap.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, ditch Win7, it's an old memory hog. 8.1 would be better if you don't want to go Win10 (but Win10 would be much better).
What kind of memory? I have 32 gigs of ram... a 512 SSD c drive and a 5 TB data drive.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
LOL. If you want to talk about spying on users and then tell me how great Chrome is, are you even serious bra? Do you even lift?

I upgraded and it's more stable than before. Maybe yer comp is just infested with other crap.
Chrome spying is a definitely possibility, particularly if you use the Chrome apps that keeps Chrome running all the time, as well as collection of certain extensions.

In case I wasn’t clear, I didn’t mean that Win10 was any more or less prone to spyware, I meant that Win10 IS spyware. While you have a chance to expect that from your browser or any other 3rd party software you CHOOSE to install yourself, I think it is fair to say that this is unexpected from the core operating system that usually comes with your computer for most people.

Windows 10 Privacy | Is Windows 10 Spying on You?

How to Disable All of Windows 10’s Built-in Advertising

But a choice of browser, even a potentially spying one, doesn’t make recommendation of Win8.1 valid, which was my main point.

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
It works well for me. I like the layout better and it is faster, so it does not f*cking well suck. I will ignore you advice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts