The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have some suggestions for Firebird pickups? Nothing too boutiquey but I don't want Epi either. I have a Seymour Duncan in the neck of a Tele currently, so I feel like I should try something else.

·
Banned
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My favorite pickups of all time, bar none, are the Lollar Firebirds. They're like the best Tele pickups you've ever heard, but with much more heft.
These were on my list from the beginning. I'm glad you mentioned Tele since I'd like to put together a Tele/Firebird guitar, helps me feel at home while discovering brave new worlds.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Alright so I'm a Firebird guy 100%, and I kid you not... Dimarzio. They're excellent and cheap. No they don't sound like the gigantic Telecaster that the best vintage FB pickups are supposed to sound like. But they are in the low output range and voiced with some heft and all the articulation that makes FB style mini's special. I'm into the most disgusting fuzzed out stoner tone possible and I play Firebirds 90% of the time because they can eat volume and gain and stay together better than almost anything. My Dimarzio FB is equal to all my others in terms of sound.

So from my experience...
Cheap but good = Dimarzio
Non-mini sounding mini's = Lace
Vintage appropriate = Duncan Ants or real vintage Gibsons

No experience but I've never heard anything but the highest praise = Lollar

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.