The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I liked the Burstbucker pickups that came in my 2011 R8, I'm sure to like ___________.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every other humbucker made today.....lots of choices. OX4 makes a really good humbucker, the Custom Buckers I've owned in a few Gibson CC's were also outstanding. I have a set of Bare Knuckles and Seymour Duncan '78 in my two Knaggs are also superb...
Fair enough but I'm asking for some help narrowing it down because there are so many to choose from. The suggestions are appreciated, I'll have a look at the OX4 as I've not heard of them.

P

·
0 Posts
I have Lollar Low Wind Imperials and they sound great in my SG. Not sure how they compare to the burstbuckers though.

Imperial

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts
I'm a fan of the seymour Duncan '59's in my custom 22. I am curious about their alnico II pro and other low/medium PAF pickups. I have a friend in Texas who will eventually be sending me some of his PAF pickups to check out.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have Lollar Low Wind Imperials and they sound great in my SG. Not sure how they compare to the burstbuckers though.

Imperial

I'm very cool with Lollars, just put a set of their Regals in a Tele of mine. I'd like to try something different that I haven't owned yet, thus the thread asking for suggestions. On the other hand I've had a disagreement with some of their single coil offerings, not terrible or anything but just not my type.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a fan of the seymour Duncan '59's in my custom 22. I am curious about their alnico II pro and other low/medium PAF pickups. I have a friend in Texas who will eventually be sending me some of his PAF pickups to check out.
I have to make it around to trying Duncans again. I have a Firebird neck with a custom single bridge they wound up in a Tele of mine and I love it but previous experience with their humbuckers left me unimpressed. To be fair they were a jazz set on loan from a friend but I didn't bond with them.

I have tried several styles of PRS pickups in the last few weeks and some of the 57/08 styled ones are really good, loving the neck, just ok with the bridge. My usual preference on these things is low output.

P

·
0 Posts
I have to make it around to trying Duncans again. I have a Firebird neck with a custom single bridge they wound up in a Tele of mine and I love it but previous experience with their humbuckers left me unimpressed. To be fair they were a jazz set on loan from a friend but I didn't bond with them.

I have tried several styles of PRS pickups in the last few weeks and some of the 57/08 styled ones are really good, loving the neck, just ok with the bridge. My usual preference on these things is low output.
I am glad I have not gone down the pickup rabbit hole...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Want something from a relatively new guy? Check out Robert's Luthiery. The Nuge Sonic Baptizm PAF-Plus Humbucker pickup set

Almost two years ago I put a set in one of Nugent's Byrdlands and was amazed at how fantastic they sounded.

I called him and had a set sent to me. I loved them and they're now in four of my guitars --- including two LPs. He's currently making me a P90 to try in the LP Jr I just got.

I have no idea how they compare to other more commonly known boutique builders but without hesitation can recommend Bob's pickups.

He makes two humbucker models (that I'm aware of). A Nuge pickup and a "Honey/BBQ" pickup modelled after Gibbons' Pearly Gates.

Fwiw, I have no involvement in his business --- I'm just a guy who genuinely appreciates how great his pickups sound.

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts

Try the 85/15's? They have a few sets these days.

Theres also MJS in Toronto who gets a lot of positive feedback and will do custom winds.

If you want low output and seymour duncan also check the AP2.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't want anything too boutique or custom, I want an easy sell if they don't work out and I'd like to find something tested out on the market.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I put a set of Duncan 59s in a late 90s LP Classic that sounded quite nice. If you want a little lower output & more clarity/articulation, Seth Lover's your man.

Also can't say enough good things about WolfeTone. The last ones I had were a set of Kauer Buckers (IIRC they were his Dr. Vintage model wound slightly different for the Spanish Cedar body in a Kauer Daylighter) and they were fantastic.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I have a set of Vineham V59s on order, I’ve heard great things about Craig and his pickups from a bunch of people on here! Going into my 2016 Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
IF you use enough overdrive ( and most folks do), all pickups will basically sound the same.
G.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts