The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a water slide decal on a guitar headstock then sprayed it with about 6 coats of Varathane diamond clear gloss letting it cure now what should be the next steps? Sand then use polish compounds until desired or just wet sand?

Thanks Curt

·
Registered
72 Posts
Depends on the look you want mostly. Wet sand with 400 then 600 will leave it totally dull. Polishing with a white polishing compound will bring it to a nice gloss. Of course, if you are Using a buffer, careful, of the edges, buffing off the edges, not to them. Polishing by hand is safer. Lol.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no buffer wheel so hand polish it will be. Do you think to wet sand any higher than 600? One video I watched the guy went up to 900 or 1200 I believe.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
It depends on the polishing compounds you use.

If polishing by hand I would go up to 1200 first.

I use a polishing head on a cordless drill, pretty inexpensive from crappy tire.
It works surprisingly well.

Nathan

L

·
0 Posts
I did two in the past.
I think I applied around 4 coats.
After curing, I wet sanded, but, just the waterslide area to bring down the very slight hump of buildup.
Then another 2-3 coats and wet sand to remove the peel.

P1070346.JPG

P1070668.JPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Lee valley sells a pkg of 2 sided small micro mesh pads that can be used wet or dry. The grit system they use isn't the same as sand paper, but there are conversion charts online. They start at 400 I think and go way!! Up. The advantage is that it will give a nice sheen when you us all the grits, or you can stop when it looks like you want. You can polish after if you want more shine. Menzerna makes great compounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts