The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an MJT strat body (nitro) in Vintage White for my next build. It is just slightly faded but not relic'd at all. I want to get some finish checking to give it a bit of a used look, sort of a sitting in the case under the bed for the last 40 years look.

From what I've read, freezing the body (putting it in a freezer for a while or a cold garage in winter) and then exposing it to heat either in a warm room when still frozen or warm it up quickly using a hair dryer (and repeat this several times) should induce some checking into the finish. Any other ways/tips ?

L

·
0 Posts
That's the rumour I heard too.
I'll be following this.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been doing this for about a week now. Nothing seems to be happening so I've put it (the body) in a chest type freezer in my garage, way colder than the one in the basement so we'll see what happens. Relic'd the tremolo and arm, pickguard and backplate screws etc with muriatic acid which came out well. Neck is in the mail and I only need to get a set of strap knobs and a 4 bolt fender neck plate (stainless or nickel hopefully) and a decent case. (I've got a wtb up in the fs forum for those parts and a case) I'll age those along with the tuners on the neck when it gets here.....

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
This may be more than you want... But If you really want it to check apparently you heat it with a blow dryer first. Then take a little can of that compressed dusting air (can't think of the proper name right now). Turn your spraycan upside-down, and shoot the air out. Lots of videos on YouTube. I've wanted to do this to my sonic blue nitro MIM strat but it's still in too nice of shape,LOL. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to give that method a try (warm up with a dryer, freeze with canned air) if I don't get decent results doing what I'm doing. I'm not in a rush and don't mind doing it a bit at a time as I only want light checking.....

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ended up using a hair dryer and then an upside down can of air. Did it a bit at a time and it appears to have worked as well as I could have expected. A bit of muriatic acid to relic parts....

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've been using the Imgur phone app to post my photos; it works well and it's easy to use. Just copy your photo links from imgur and paste right into your posts.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Noooooooooooooo!!!! pls stop you’re in danger of breaking the internet.

The internet tells is it’s an acquired skill, an art, that you need inherent mojo, that only shattered glass fake checking can be achieved that way.

It’s only one pic but it appears as though first time out, with a blow dryer and spritzer you’ve done a near perfect internet expert job, this is YUGE.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the neck back fm Brian Monty yesterday. Polished it up a bit w Virtuoso polish which darkened it slightly, put on the aged w Muriatic acid tuners and cleaned up the fretboard a bit. I'll put it together this weekend or so. I did a bit of lacquer checking on the headstock but finish checking is not as pronounced as on the body, the checking lines are very thin. I'll leave it as is...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts