The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys and gals, let me lay it down for you. The amp heads (I want a head/ cab..not combo) that I am most interested in buying are either A.) don't have where I am or B.) will not let you play (i'm not kidding). I am a meat and potatoes kinda guy, definately more rhythm based than lead. My band is www.myspace.com/longwaydown and so I definately need a sound that fits in, yet stands out. I am not a super high gain shredder by any means, but I know good sound when I hear it. The sounds most similar to what I want to acheive are Tool (on the Aenima album), Finger eleven (any of their albums) and Breaking Benjamin (we are not alone)...just to give you an idea of the genre/ sound/ balls I am looking for in my sound...Breaking benjamin would probably be the closest.

I've had alot of good input on other boards, and was wondering your guys opinions. Also, I am not looking for an amp head, I am looking for THE AMP HEAD!...so time is not an issue for me. Not an extreme number of knobs to be able to get the sound I want either...fairly simple, with killer tone and sound. No, I will not be able to try them up here because I live where I do...so that is just not an option for me, I know it sucks, but thats the way it is. The ones I have narrowed it down to so far are:

A.) Bogner Shiva (was number one choice, but worried not enough gain)
B.) Germino (heard lots of good things)
C.) Suhr OD-100 (looks like another popular favorite)
D.) Splawn
E.) New handwired Marshall
F.) Soldano

I know these amps all sound different, but what I'm asking for is the one that fits in the most with the genre/style/ role I play in the band. I don't know Sh*t about all the amps out there...but I'm hoping you guys can help me to narrow it down to a couple...or even one if I'm lucky. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Too bad you are in Edmonton, as I was going to say, drive across the border and hit a few of the mega stores in the US that allow you to play all these fun toys. I really like the Soldano out of those. Many people think they are one trick ponies, but they do have good cleans, and even when they are not maxed out on gain, they have great tone. They also have great customer service, but then I imagine the other smaller companies do too. One thing to keep in mind, is that with the amps youre looking at, further mods are possible to turn one into your perfect amp. You may want to contact people who own each amp you own, and send them a few riffs you'd like to hear at different settings and ask them to record them for you. Another alternative is to have a custom amp built for you be someone local who knows amps really well. Custom amps are becoming more and more popular................

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alot of bigger pubs and live music venues, maybe festivals later on?? I don't see how that really has any relevance on picking the right tone/ gain of an amp head for me when everything out the front of house is mic'd and we are all running in ear monitors

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Gravity Orange said:
Alot of bigger pubs and live music venues, maybe festivals later on?? I don't see how that really has any relevance on picking the right tone/ gain of an amp head for me when everything out the front of house is mic'd and we are all running in ear monitors
So you are able to crank up a 100 Watt head to hit the sweet spot at all venues? The right tone/gain isn't usually achieved till you push the amp, that's what I'm getting at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, gotcha man. I guess it depends on the show we are playing, and the fact that some 100's are just plain louder than others.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Adam from Tool uses a Diezel Herbert I believe, and I know that James Black from Finger 11 is using a Bogner Ecstasy, and Rick Jackett uses a Mesa Triple Rectifier.

You say you don't want huge amounts of gain, but those amps are capable of huge amounts of gain.

My band plays the same type of music, ranging from Alice in Chains/Godsmack influences, to Disturbed and Tool.

From your list, I would guess you're not too concerned about the cost.

If I were you, I would go with the Ecstacy over the Shiva.

I personally use a Crate Blue Voodoo 120. They get a lot of slag from detractors, but mine has always sounded great, and never let me down. I also use an old Randall RGT100 tube head which pulls off the tone extremely well.

The Orange Rockerverb 50 is also a great sounding amp, but not super heavy in the gain department.

The bottom line is, you seem to be looking at exclusive boutiquey type amps, but regardless of what you have heard, you don't have to pay $4-5,000 to get the sound/reliability you need. What you need, is to trust your own ears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts