The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My band has hit a bit of a wall lately. We are a tribute act and we have been booking ourselves independently. We have outgrown the local club scene and are booking things like outdoor events and festivals. The problem we are having with that is when it comes to the larger stuff it's kind of a closed scene unless you have an agency to represent and book your act. Basically cold calling is getting us nowhere. We're also at a point where we would like to start expanding outside of the province and again, where to do we even start as independents?

I've tried knocking on some doors of local agencies (figuratively) but literally no one responds to calls or emails. Anyone have some suggestions or guidance from experience they'd be willing to share?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
I've never had or dealt with an agent, but I have some friends who do as both act and venue.

Best bet is to ask around. If you know of other people or bands with agents, ask them - and maybe even ask them to introduce you to their agent. Ask the venues that you want to play who they use.

Personally, I would recommend phoning over e-mail for first contact. Have a package ready - whether hard copy or online. If you have pictures and videos of your band that show a decent sized audience, that's more effective than a demo.

Agents are notorious for not returning calls to acts or venues. I know of venues that will call the act and ask them to get their agent to call. Crazy. You may be further ahead to start a booking agency.

Free advice. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
389 Posts
In my last band the singer made up a phoney name and professional email address (Jeff [email protected] or something like that). I can't remember the name he used, but he would call/email around and book shows that way. It helps to have a professional looking EPK, professional looking photos of your band on stage, samples of anything you've recorded and/or links to YouTube/iTunes/Google Play/etc.

When we hit a wall we tried getting management in hopes that they could help provide some help/direction, but it was disappointing. Mostly they just took our money and provided very little in return. The singer took the EPK they produced and reworked it, then took over the job himself.

He got a lot of advice from another local band that just finished a cross country tour (Can/US). Entirely self managed and self booked. Biggest thing they told me was that they just kept calling repeatedly until they got what they wanted.

I'd start talking to local bands that are already doing what you hope to be doing and ask them what steps they took to get there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts