The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my Fender Strat Plus, which was I guess my main guitar, so now I guess I need a new one.

Stuff I've been looking at:
- Gibson SG (special or standard?)
- Fender Telecaster (leaning towards the deluxe with 2 humbuckers, but the 70's ones can get pricey)
- Some sort of Gibson LP (Studio? Standard?)

What are some good playing and sounding guitars for under $1000? I have no problem buying used/old guitars.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you wanna spring for an SG, I'd go with this one: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Epiphone-Elitist...ryZ38086QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The Epi Elitist series is known for putting out axes on par and sometimes even better than genuine Gibbies (with Gibson's wacky QC and all) , the elitists are made in a special factory in Japan and they're equipped with MIA hardware. And if you're looking for a sweet LP style under a grand check out ESP LTDs EC series, they're EC-400VF model and they're EC-1000 Honeyburst model are particularly nice, since they come with Duncans rather than EMG active pups, which aren't really my thing. Not to mention the Duncan equipped models tend to have nicer finishes:smile:.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about an ESP before...do they at all compare with Gibsons?

I haven't tried the Epiphone Elitists, but in all honesty I'd rather spend another $200 and get a used Gibson SG standard >_<

I usually only GAS for the big names (Fender, Gibson, etc). I guess I'd maybe like to see what else is out there that would compete with high end guitars.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The ESP ECs have thinner necks and are lighter than a real lester. As for the elitist, I've heard on many accounts that elitists are better than the real deal, but if the logo on the headstock really means that much to you go for a Gibby I guess.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it because the Elitists are setup properly, and Gibsons aren't at first?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Check out the Godin LGHB or the Solidac. They are incredible guitars, excellent quality, great sounding and playing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is getting me excited:

·
Premium Member
16,682 Posts
Any guitar I've posted pics of on this site cost less than $1000.

Nothing wrong with spending one's hard earned cash in any way one sees fit, but the notion that spending $2000 ~ $4000 on a guitar will give you a functionally superior instrument is not realistic IMO.

I keep four or five guitars stage ready and NONE of them cost more than $1000.

MIM Strats and Teles are great as are mid level Ibanez et cetera.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
re LPs, if you can find a used Standard for that price, I'd say go for it. You might find a used Classic in that range too. Should be no problem finding a Studio for under $1K. IMO stick with Gibson, someday you might want to get your $ back out of it and the brand helps.

SG - I'd stick with a standard

as mentioned above, MIJ Fenders can be a great guitars for the $.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
1. buy used

2. buy a used aerodyne tele, swap out the pickups for a joe barden bridge and jason lollar minimhumbucker neck - still under a grand

-dh

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Have you tried any PRS guitars? I picked up a used CE22 which is in "player" condition (meaning its a little beat-up!) and its a fantastic guitar. Its versatile, and its the easiest playing guitar I've ever owned. I paid more than your target price but the prices for used PRSs seem to be coming down.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Those PRS SE single cuts are nice. Yamaha also makes some great guitars for the money. I have a Yamaha AES620 and it sounds and plays great.

I'm with Milkman on this one. You can get a great playing guitar for under $1000. I've stopped looking at head stocks. As far as I'm concerned most of the mark up on the big $$$ guitars is all marketing. There is no magic in a Gibson LP. It's just made out of wood like every other guitar. Having said that, I would think that buying a Gibson would be a better investment - better resale. I probably couldn't get 50% of what I paid for my Yamaha.

I guess it's all about what inspires you to play. ROCK ON!!!!!

:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
MIM Strats and Teles are great .
Big +1 on that. I have a MIM '69 RI tele thinline that I'd have no problem using as a main gigging guitar. I have some Budz pickups that I'm going to install when I get a chance, but the stock pick-ups are pretty decent.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool thanks for the help so far everyone.

Has anyone tried a Gibson LP Standard Double Cutaway? Are they basically a LP Standard with a DC? Or are they similar to the Studios?

·
Premium Member
17,007 Posts
well, as the title implies...it's a standard, with a different body style.

1. the difference between an SG special and an SG standard is the FINISH and the pickups are covered on the standard.

2. elitist SG's smoke. a friend has one, and i need to buy it off him - easily one of the best guitars i've played.

3. Gibbo LP studios go for around $1100 or so used, depends on the year. i own one, and it suits me fine. it may not suit YOU fine, so go try one :D.

4. gooood luck finding a USA-made PRS for under $1400. :)

have you looked at carvin?

·
Registered
652 Posts
What kind of music do you play..that helps decide alot of choices.
Gretsch Electromatic series are diverse & great for blues or rock.
EMG's are great pickups for Metal. Ibanez for shredders.
Anything Gibson is superb for rock, I have the SG Special faded 3-pickups & it's great for Stones, AC/DC,etc.
You could also buy an Epiphone Custom or Standard Les Paul & have any Humbucker combo installed at a good shop.
Burstbuckers have that Skynyrd squeal I love for some songs...:banana:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
My vote goes to an Epiphone LP Custom, which goes for $499 used (or $635 new) then put the rest of the cash towards whatever else you need or want (effects, quality cables, pedalboard, another cab, etc).

Or a PRS SE as mentioned earlier, those things are amazing quality for the price. Atleast that's the impression I got from the few I tried out.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts