The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to having the Gibosn '57 Classics installed in my MIJ Epiphone Riviera c1978. The neck pup was a slight improvement, most noticeable in the lows. I always thought the neck pup wasn't bad to start with. But the Bridge pup was a different story. Now I know what good treble sounds like. What a difference. I didn't know the original bridge pup sucked that much.

The guitar build was always very good. The Japanese seem very good at that part. Now it is wonderful. I know this is a honeymoon period. I'll let you know how it progresses.

:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Congratulations on a successful transplant...it doesn't appear as though the Epi will reject the Gibsons. Blood lines are close enough, I suppose. I saw the picture of your gear on the post a picture thread...can you post an updated pic here, maybe?

When I go electric again I am thinking that I will look for an Epi similar to yours. Call me crazy, but I like it.

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lolligagger said:
I saw the picture of your gear on the post a picture thread...can you post an updated pic here, maybe?

When I go electric again I am thinking that I will look for an Epi similar to yours. Call me crazy, but I like it.
I will get out the camera tomorrow and up load a pic. It really does look different, I must say.

Here is a similar guitar listed in the USA. http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1531137 But I paid half the price they're asking. Has a stop tail instead of a frequensator tailpiece too.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah, those Classic '57s are some great pickups. Very clear sounding. I used to really dislike humbuckers until I played a guitar with them.

·
Administrator
16,454 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
You shouldn't copy my title. :tongue:

I imagine they are steps and bounds better than the stock epiphone pickups. If you want to kick it up another notch try some WCRs they kick.
Agree on the WCR's. I'm just debating wether to sell a set of Darkbursts and a Goodwood bridge. I put a set of Wolfetone Dr Vintage in the LP and they are all killer pups. Decisions, decisions...

I originally had a SD'59 in the neck and JB in the bridge, good pups but the WCR's are in a different league entirely. Glad you're liking the 67's. :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
hey dave; let me know of you are getting rid of any WCR's !!

I need a set for an SG :rockon2:

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I really like '57 Classics. My R9 has them, and I have no desire to ever change them. My '60 Melody Maker has one in the neck position too.

In a recent GP interview, Warren Haynes said:
"the 57 Classics have that sound we've been in love with all our lives."

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here it is. Day was overcast, but it still looks fine

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dwagar said:
I really like '57 Classics. My R9 has them, and I have no desire to ever change them. My '60 Melody Maker has one in the neck position too.

In a recent GP interview, Warren Haynes said:
"the 57 Classics have that sound we've been in love with all our lives."
Yeah. A lot of people like to bash anything Gibson. But I like them so far. WCRs are most likely great, but the '57s aren't bad. I'm particularly impressed with the bridge '57 plus pup.

If I ever get an LP style, I must admit, I'd be very tempted to put a WCR BetSet in them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nice...real nice!

Robert1950 said:
These do turn up once in a while. Check this 'For Sale' on the The Gear Page:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=187919

Though the switch is in a different place ?
Thanks for the hot tip on this great looking guitar. I could go for this, but I just spent every last penny I had on a great Larrivee acoustic through the CGN for sale forum (from you know who). I will be out of the guitar market for a few months...at least until I satisfy my wife's demand for new shoes.

If only I had a spare $700 burning a hole in my pocket...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts