The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOO HOO!! After much waiting(decided to get it about 6 months ago but needed money) and about 7 years since a new electric guitar, I got my Les Paul today. I love it!! It's a Studio in wine red with chrome hardware. I'll never buy some cheap koren crap ever again. This thing just plays so much nicer than my other electric and the other ones I've had or played. I played many guitars in the past few months and lucked out today. I went shopping with the hopes of finding the right one. Picked this one up and it just sang!! Just amazing. I'll get pics up soon.

Oh and one question, I put on some strap locks but the screw for the back peg is smaller than what was in there. It is tight but I'm a bit worried. Any thoughts??

Time to go play some more. :DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew what I was going to buy. I've had a lot of time to make up my mind. Origonally I was in the market for a PRS. I'll probably still buy a PRS one day but for me, this time it was the Les Paul. It has the exact sound and feel I wanted, the PRS was close but no cigar and $1000 more.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Congrats on a great guitar

As for the Strap lock

Option A: put some wood filler in there(you can find it at any hardware store) and let it dry over night. then re-drill the hole and put some glue in there along with a couple toothpicks or small slices of wood and put the screw back in

Option B: is same as option A but if you don't wanna re-drill the hole(i was a little iffy about drilling when i put strap locks on my old bass...mainly cause it wasnt actually mine ;) ) just do the glue and toothpick step.

Option C: try a bigger screw, if it'll fit through the hole in the strap lock

I've done Option A on the 3 basses i've put strap locks on and have never had a problem...and i get pretty wild and move around alot when i play

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
devil6 said:
As for the Strap lock
Option C: try a bigger screw, if it'll fit through the hole in the strap lock

This is what I'm thinking. The old screw(bigger one) doesn't fit in the hole of the lock. But it's close, I think I can file it down a bit and it will fit. I rather modify a $12 peice than a $1400 one.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Rumble_b said:
This is what I'm thinking. The old screw(bigger one) doesn't fit in the hole of the lock. But it's close, I think I can file it down a bit and it will fit. I rather modify a $12 peice than a $1400 one.
Good idea Rumble. I'm not sure what this strap lock thing is about (and what it looks like) but I would look into it and find the proper screw/nut/fittings to match the existing thread on the guitar. Glue or filing down a screw is ok I suppose but I prefer fitting things the right way in the first place. We're talking about a strap peg/lock here so who cares really. But to have to glue screws that don't fit or file down a screw and risk to damage the threads in the guitar is not the right way to go about it imho. I think of value retention for an instrument as do anything to it but one day (whenever and ifever) that you can take that guitar apart completely without recking it. Just my .02c but I'm sure if you ask around and take your time that you'll find the exact fittings.:)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm loving every minute of it. But unfortunatly I haven't really been able to play much. I've been pretty sick the past few days and have very little energy. I almost didn't go buy it yesterday, but I got my brain to make my body go. :D I'll take pics when I can find the stupid camera. :confused:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Awesome! I agree that Studio's are VERY underrated. I especially love the wine red finish like yours. A friend of mine has one just like that and it kicks ass. They sound a little darker than maple top LP's, and I really like that. And about half the 2/3 the price of a standard too. Good for you!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Rumble_b said:
This is exactly what I did with my Ibanez. I used the stock screws with Schaller strap locks. I just filed them down to fit the holes in the buttons. I also had to enlarge the screw hole in the strap lock button a little. Works like a charm & didn't have to modify the guitar itself at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You will like the studio I bought one in 98 and love it I have changed the pickups though just recently to seymour duncan JB bridge and 59 neck and it kicks major
a$$ now. Just last year I picked up a PRS CU22 and it is just AMAZING!!!. It has a very meaty tone without the weight of the les paul but I still love my les paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts