The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a bit of life imitating art, F1 driver Fernando Alonso will be pulling a Jean Girard (Talladega Nights) and contesting the Indy 500 this weekend.
He's doing surprisingly well, qualifying 5th of 33 in spite of never running on an oval till a few weeks ago.
Actual racing will be much more demanding than qualifying, but it should be very interesting.
"And now the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!" :D

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
wow, he is missing the Monaco F1 race to do this, too:

"Castroneves said he welcomed Alonso to the speedway because of the “great respect” he has for him, especially for taking a risk and missing the prestigious F1 race and the potential earned points.

“It is a world-recognized place, and I believe because Fernando is (here) this year, I feel the world is going to look even more closely because it’s something unique,” Castroneves said.

“(It’s) something that in so many years hasn’t happened because of the era that we run today (with the 500 and Monaco GP on the same day). Not many drivers have the guts or are able to do that because of the contract situation and things like that, so it’s great to have that."

He probably has an uphill battle, I doubt any of the regular Indy drivers want him to win. It won't make any of them look good

Hopefully it's a clean race

·
Registered
978 Posts
In the past, you could get F1 points racing at Indy.

In IndyCar, Honda is very competitive, but in F1 they are having extreme trouble making a reliable or fast hybrid engine. Alonso's McLaren-Honda is not likely to even finish a given race. He does a lot of bitching.

This was Honda's gift to Alonso. The Indy team he's racing for is very good and has done well with guest drivers.

Alonso has had really bad timing jumping from one team to the next and I guess he's burned a few bridges. He's living under a bit of a curse. Monaco isn't a fast track, and Alonso has been squeezing everything out of his car on slow sections. His replacement, Button, will probably get on the podium.

Honda will be supplying an additional F1 team with engines next year, hoping more data will improve reliability. It seems Alonso wants to jump to one of the winning teams.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not an Alonso fan huh? :D
All F1 drivers of his caliber want to jump to winning teams. He would probably have more than his 2 championships, had he not had such bad luck going to teams that could not deliver on their promises ala Jacques Villenueve and BAR. Vettel and Hamilton have also jumped teams, Hamilton got lucky, Vettel may yet.
He's not my favourite F1 driver but I would take Alonso head to head in the same car against anyone in F1.

His replacement, Button, will probably get on the podium.
Say what? :confused: McLaren has struggled to even finish any races this year. The main reason Alonso is doing the Indy is because the F1 car is so bad. He was almost guaranteed to DNF in Monaco, as is most likely for Button.
Better lay some bets on that Button on the podium idea, the odds will generate you a fortune! ;)
(currently 51:1 at ubet F1 Monaco Grand Prix F1 Monaco Grand Prix Betting Odds | UBET)

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then I will for sure be laughing with you. :D
He would have to do very well in qualifying though, the way Monaco usually goes. Either that or everybody else DNF for a change. ;)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I dunno. I have been an Alonso fan since his first year in F1. I have wondered about his motivation for moving to McClaren. Money for sure, but maybe he was hoping to help guide a 3rd team into competitiveness with Ferarri and Mercedes. Either way I think he is more than just a little bit frustrated with McClarens poor performance. It seems that the engineers cannot even make the slightest improvement from week to week. Time for the hammer to fall at McCoaren and Honda. I can see Honda being pretty pissed at the lack of reliability and performance.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would have loved to hear what he had to say on the radio when the Honda's started blowing up.
Too bad, he was running right behind Sato when his engine went. Sure had a good showing for a 'rookie' though.
Nice to see Sato get the win.

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
Yes, appropriate that Honda let him down. But he was quite magnanimous in his interview - unlike his F1 interviews lately.

I don't blame him though, he may be the best pure driver in F1 (besides maybe Verstappen). And we don't get to see it. I'd love to see him take Raikkonen's seat and put a little heat on Vettel. Especially with the way Ferrari are looking this year.

His long term objective is the Triple Crown of Motorsports. Graham Hill is the only driver to do this - and he's won 'both' the traditional one (including Monaco) and the more current version (including the WDC). There are only a dozen drivers that have finished two of the three legs, using either definition. So certainly a prestigious ring to reach for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts