The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was checking out that thread about a Floyd Rose on a LP style guitar and someone mentioned a PRS semi semi hollow body (Neil Schon) that had one. I read the specs on the guitar and an option was a sustainer w/DiMarzio PUP. I don't know if if it's the Fernandez one but I thought this might be something that someone else has checked out. ANyone checked this thing out or had a chance to play a guitar with one? They aren't yet available on Musicians Friend (it was the first retail site that popped up when I googled Fernandez Sustainer), so here's the link:

Fernandes FSK-401 Sustainer Pickup Kit

Anyone have something similar? I just thought it was a cool idea so I thought I'd open it up for some sort of discussion. I'm a pretty firm believer in using the old school method(s) of achieve copious amounts of beautiful sustain, but I'd imagine something like this would open up a whole new world of possibilities, much like that sustainer pedal that Pete Thorn demo'd fairly recently.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess Steve Vai has used one for a bit and there are a number of vids on YouTube on them, but I'd like to know what someone who's actually used them have found.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have thought about installing one on one of my RG's ala Steve Vai 's FLO guitar. Another option would the sustainic that Joe Satriani uses; it is a much smaller kit and apparently easier to install. What is nice is if you send your body off to them they will install it for you, at a cost of course.

I know Sulphur has a Fernandes sustainer so he could probably speak to what they are like. I'm interested in hearing opinions on it as well.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
I have a Sustainiac installed on one of my guitars.
Its a lot of fun to kick in during a "big solo", or for something more moody like a volume pedal.
Its a bit like using an Ebow (remember those things?), but with less skill required. I don't really think of it as much as feedback...it basically vibrates a string(s) magnetically for you, so its not like "natural" sustain, which eventually does fade out. it doesn't give a guitar more sustain, it gives particular notes you choose, unlimited sustain.
as it replaces your pickup, that could be seen as a limitation if you are very particular about pickups.
another option might be to buy/demo a Jackson PC-1, as it has one built in, a la Phil collens spec.

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always wanted to own a Fernandes guitar equipped with a Sustainiac (probably my Steve Hackett influence) but recently found the FreqOut pedal that works incredibly well.

Yeah, this is the one that I was thinking of when I mentioned Pete Thorn above. Certainly less intrusive than an entire PUP/component I suppose.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I dunno... sounds good but I still have plenty of fun with my Ebow - they do work differently. You can really get "bowed" sounds out of it, so tonally it's a different beast. It's also fun to generate noise with it... scratch the strings with it and get some pretty crazy-moody sonic mayhem. Still, with all these sustainer systems, you have to rein it in lest it become yet another tonal cliché, but they certainly have their uses.

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
I've always wanted to own a Fernandes guitar equipped with a Sustainiac (probably my Steve Hackett influence) but recently found the FreqOut pedal that works incredibly well.

I am getting this! Thanks!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts