The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...has anyone here ever tried "fermented herring"?

it comes in a can, and is available in grocery stores in sweden and, most likely, other scandanavian countries.

-dh

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
...has anyone here ever tried "fermented herring"?

it comes in a can, and is available in grocery stores in sweden and, most likely, other scandanavian countries.

-dh
I love fish, but that stuff is sooooo nasty. When I used to live up in Thunder Bay you could get it, because there was a big Finnish population. Maybe it grows on you.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love fish, but that stuff is sooooo nasty. When I used to live up in Thunder Bay you could get it, because there was a big Finnish population. Maybe it grows on you.

...its a mystery, to me. my ex (swedish) and i are the most adventurous foodies in the world, same with her family. we couldn't go near it - could not get past the stink and the slime factor. we ended up burying the stuff, along with all the utensils that had touched it.

-dh

·
Registered
485 Posts
LOL This thread is really about fermented herring! When I saw the title of the thread, I figured it was the name of a new band LOL

Sorry, can't offer an opinion..... 27 year vegetarian. I think it would make a great name for a band, tho'!

Maybe, Fermented Hair-ing :D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
hey...I just read about canned herring at another site...small world ain`t it.
Never heard my students mention canned herring in Japan so I gotta assume they don`t eat it...and if the Japanese don`t eat it thats gotta mean something `cause they have what they call... natto... fermented soy beans...sound innocent enough eh...but it`s the most foul smelling thing I`ve ever come across. Can`t imagine herring being worse than natto.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Well I'm a big fish lover and herring is a very tasty one, but no, fermenting fish is not something that comes to mind when I think of a tasty snack.

You want to see some nasty dishes (and I humbly apologize to any folks of this heritage) try Phillipino cuisine.

Ask for the "treat with feet".

:eek:

·
Registered
316 Posts
My grandfather's favorite meal was herring and potatoes. He would eat it 7 days a week if my mom cooked it for him. I love fish too but couldn't do herring or turbot. My fish is either baked or fried.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
never ate fish `til I got to japan. fished all the time as a kid in the st. lawrence but we usually just caught em to look at em...anyways...who eats fish from the st. lawrence?
now...I don`t even wait for them to cook the buggers...I eats em before they have a chance to...even better if they ain`t dead yet.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You can buy that stuff at the grocery store in New Brunswick. My dad makes his own. New Brunswick is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, producer of herring/sardines in the world. Most of it is exported to Japan, but quite a bit of it is exported to the Netherlands, Scandinavia, and the Caribbean.

Ever try smoked herring (the kind that's hard like beef jerky)?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Me Too!!

I come from the east coast and I absolutely hate fish. The only fish I eat is swimming chicken (Tuna), fish sticks and fisk cakes (the kind that are mostly potatoes).

Hey I can't believe you said that!! I'm like you! From the East coast and do NOT do seafood of any kind except Halibut and Fish N Chips style at that! I thought I was one of the only ones! LOL! Most "mainlanders" are shocked that I don't love fish.....

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Fish is the greatest food on the planet. Alaskan King Crab, Salmon steaks, Calamari, these are the foods of the gods...........

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
SPAM, FERMENTED HERRING, FRIED BREAD AND SPAM !! Drool Drool Drool

I'd like to see if there is anyone in the world who stomach that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts