The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the chance to play our bass players Jazz bass yesterday at a jam and fell in love with the tone. I always knew that they sounded great but playing one was an eye opener. Is there any Fender products that have short scale necks and same pickup configuration as Jazz in the Fender line or other? Maybe adding Jazz pickups to a Mustang. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
There is a MIM Mustang PJ that would be worth trying out. I have one and I think it is very good quality. My other basses are all Fender AV reissues and I have no problems with the quality, tones, or playability of the Mustang PJ.

One thing to note is that my ‘62 reissue jazz bass sounds very different from my ‘75 reissue jazz bass. Different body woods and slightly different pickup locations...both are great. But not the same.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
There is a MIM Mustang PJ that would be worth trying out. I have one and I think it is very good quality. My other basses are all Fender AV reissues and I have no problems with the quality, tones, or playability of the Mustang PJ.

One thing to note is that my ‘62 reissue jazz bass sounds very different from my ‘75 reissue jazz bass. Different body woods and slightly different pickup locations...both are great. But not the same.
I have a MIM Mustang PJ bass and it has become my #1 bass. I put tapewound strings on it, and it plays and sounds amazing. And I love the short scale!

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
The scale is great. As you get better with the R hand, I am now finding that the longer scale renders a more consistent plucking given the higher tension. The snap is more articulate.

And the full scale ones don’t go out of tune nearly as often when fretting a note. The short scale falls prey to poor L hand Fretting causing sharp notes occasionally .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts