The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 21 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Eventually you end up with some that looks sort of like a guitar blank. Because it's a firebird/thunderbird shape, it's got the raised center section.

Fenderbird15.5.jpg

The wood is a pain, but it's kinda funky. I did a quick sample on what would become a cut-off portion just to see. Wood is dyed with a yellow/amberish sort of colour.

Fenderbird16.jpg

Here's the first indication of what it's going to look like when it grows up.
Fenderbird17.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Then it was grain filling time. Because of the raised center and different heights, and also because of the extreme amount of filling required, I wanted to at least ruff in the filling/leveling before going any further. The Cottonwood burl had a lot of deep inclusions and other things going on. It was also very soft and fragile. I also had to wait for the weather to warm up a bit. The filler I used needs a minimum temp of 70F, and when it's below about -20C, I'm lucky to get the shop up to 60F to 65F
Here it is ready for glue-up of the body sections.
Fenderbird19.jpg

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Awesome work so far on what is a crazy cool project! Good luck with the rest, subscribed to thread.

·
Premium Member
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I forgot to put this up :eek:

Fenderbird22.jpg

This picture was after sanding the top dead smooth & flat. The shine is gone, but it will be back.

The picture shows up something funny on the top edge of the neck pocket. I know there is no chip or defect there, so it must be a low spot that got by me. I'll check that out tomorrow. It's only visible in the picture.

·
Premium Member
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I didn't like some of the things that were going on.......so I spent 2 days sanding it back to bare wood again. All that remained was the filler in the "holes". I then re-dyed it. No clear yet, this is just flat dye.
Fenderbird23.jpg
It still needed "something" so Keto & I decided to add a little black to accent things a bit
Fenderbird24.jpg
Much better I think.
Fenderbird25.jpg
It's sealer time!

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
Oh! It's a bass !!

·
Premium Member
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
About 12 top coats later, the Fenderbird is hanging for a while to cure. The can says 120 hours before wet sanding & buffing.
I used Target EM6000 water base acrylic lacquer. (I put that sh1t on everything)

Fenderbird29.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,703 Posts
Did a little custom fitting and mocked it up today. It’s light, including hardware maybe 6 lbs max. Hipshot bridge, EMG Geezer P pup, Nordstrand MM pup and custom pre - vol/pull passive, T, M/pull freq and B, 2 battery boxes to run it at 18v. Wiring is going to be a challenge, the pickup wires are not yet in the cavity shot.

I think it looks great!

1 - 21 of 23 Posts