The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all doing well:)

So, I've come into one of those hockey stick shaped necks. You know the one;)
It's an oldie...a Shenandoah from 1969. It's in nice enough shape to merit seeing what happens, but it looks like this could be quite the "mission". Seems parts for the original XII's are pretty scarce to my understanding, so that feels a bit daunting.

But I'm still excited. I just love that sound and design.
Leo's 12 string was pretty innovative, despite being a bit late to the party as it were.

Anyone here have an Electric XII, or has salvaged or built their own?
Would love to hear some stories...insight...direction.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are a few very thorough threads on XII building over at shortscale and offsetguitars forums.
There's a few things to be known concerning measurements and string spacing etc. Long story short, new repro stuff will not fly with original stuff(with very few exceptions).

Some folks over at both those forums are of the thinking that the bridge is the first part you sort out. If you don't you could have a body and neck(or whatever) sitting in a closet for years, waiting.

Now me, yeah...no bridge yet.
But I have this neck. So I dunno.
***There are plenty of options if building a reproduction based off one of Warmoth's 65XII necks, that's not what I am after***

My options are find an original...or find one from an mij stratXII(87-97 only), or from a Squier VenusXII.
Or manufacture.

I'm searching, and waiting patiently...but am thinking on manufacturing the bridge.
Quite an undertaking in itself.

Are there any forum members who do metal work?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I posed that question wrong...
Still interested in members who do metal work, but...

Has anyone here had custom bridge parts made for their guitar? experience? direction? local? :)

·
Premium Member
5,161 Posts
@howdo3313
Does it have to be the original Fender bridge? I might have an aftermarket 12 string "Fender type" bridge. 6 strings though the body, other 6 though the back of the bridge. Looks like a Strat hardtail bridge.

I also have a "Les Paul" style TOM 12 string setup if your not you're not after original.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Greco,
I'm after one of these:)

GGJaguar's Guitarium and Ampeteria Fender Electric XII Bridge

Hi Lincoln,
Is that the Gotoh 12 string bridge you're speaking of? It's a nice bridge and there's a cat over at offset guitars who makes a surround for that bridge, so it matches up with the cut of the pickguard. But, the string spacing is small(for a strat width neck). The neck I have is wider(2-3/8" @heel, 1-5/8" @nut), so unfortunately the Gotoh bridge isn't an option for me.

·
Premium Member
5,161 Posts
Original or even original style is going to be much harder to find. I've rarely seen them for sale other than with a body.

Have you ever played a 12 string with a 1-5/8" nut? The string spacing at the nut is so close that it becomes quite challenging for anyone with larger fingers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts