The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this has been posted before but if you haven't seen it before it may provide some entertainment.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
that was a great documentary

thanks for posting, I had not seen it

at 29 mins, is he talking about the "guitar trader" les pauls? or is it earlier?

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is going to be a long thread
I didn't post it for debate, though. It's really about the history of the two companies and their gear. We can leave the slurs (not meant for you, Amagras) out of this thread and concentrate on the historical facts.

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
I just can't understand you, Steadly. Constantly complaining about Gibson and Fender but can't stop posting about them. You want one real bad or just hope you can turn this into the usual?
when I first saw the thread title, and the poster, I was tempted to post something like this:

well, I still did, but just because I find it funny.

But in spite of the source of this thread, its a quality vid worth watching, although some of the content may be a little familiar for some of us.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I didn't post it for debate, though. It's really about the history of the two companies and their gear. We can leave the slurs (not meant for you, Amagras) out of this thread and concentrate on the historical facts.
No biggie, it's my fault as I haven't had time to watch the documentary yet, and you must admit that the title in some way suggest that

·
Registered
16,159 Posts
I think it was just the trailer I posted way back--or maybe that was on another site.
I did watch it before--just to see what is was like--but I like & play both...

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
That was interesting, but I thought they focused too much on the LP and the Strat. The SG and tele should have featured more prominently. That being said, I did have to skip some parts because I don't have time to watch the entire thing right now so I might have missed some SG and Tele sections.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Got my popcorn maker ready...

Aside from Bonamasa's and Wes Jeans epic playing of Strats, (which proves that the player is what makes ANY instrument sing), my favorite part is at 29:36 where Gibson CS got them wrong. I have to say it sounds as if Gibson's decades worth of blunders were far, far greater than Fenders. It's a wonder the company survived at all.

I also disagree about the comment that "people didn't want to see a Strat like Gibson or Gibson like Strat" because that's exactly what PRS says to me, and they seem to have taken a strong position between the two giants. I get the LP and Strat are both "timeless", but give it another few decades and I'll bet there will be a shift to something else as generations fades and environmental situations push instrument makers into going with new or other materials and designs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.