The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine asked me a question today and I wasn't sure how to answer so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Which guitar is closest to its big dollar equivalent.
Is the made in Mexico Fender strat a better strat than
a Epiphone les paul is to being a Gibson les paul?
At least as far as tone and playability are concerned.

Which of the 2 is closest to being able to match its more expensive counterpart? Stock of course no mods allowed.
Anyone with any experience with either or both your comments would be greatly appreciated.
I realise of course they are 2 different animals,we aren't trying to compare the strat to the LP just the cheaper strat to the expensive strat,and same for the LP.
Thanks.:rockon:
Eric

·
Premium Member
13,040 Posts
It's the old apples vs. oranges debate. Thye are both very different animals. The higher end squiers maybe a better comparison, but then, you are still comparing chinese apples vs. chinese oranges.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hard comparison, I've ran into a few MIM strats that were really nice and the same with some of the MIK Epi's. I agree with a few of the others, probably fairer to compare MIC squiers to MIC epi's. But as far as your original comparison I'd say the higher end set neck LP's have a closer feel to there counterpart than the MIM strats.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
That's a very interesting question. I have an Epiphone Ultra Les Paul and a '74 LP Custom. They are two very different animals. Perhaps not a fair comparison but the Ultra is one of the higher end of the Epi line and made in Korea. Very nice player but electonically and sonically doesn't quite match up to the Gibson. That said, you don't really notice the difference until you do a side by side comparo.
On the other hand I have a MIM 60th anniversary Strat which is one of my best sounding/playing guitars. Unfortunately I don't have a MIA strat to compare it too (yet!) but from what noodling I could get in at the store this particular MIM strat comes about as close to the MIA ones as my Epi does to the Gibson.
I guess what I'm trying to say (from my meager experience anyway) is that the higher end of the "low dollar" versions in both cases compare about the same rate to me.
As for the cheaper of the low dollar (Squiers and MIC Epis) my money would be on the Epis for coming closest but it's just a guess. It's only based on the fact that I've nearly cut my fingers on some squier fret ends and don't seem to remember that problem with any of the cheaper Epiphones. Admittedly this is weak data to make a judjement call but there you have it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It's only based on the fact that I've nearly cut my fingers on some squier fret ends and don't seem to remember that problem with any of the cheaper Epiphones.
I have worked on both epi's and squiers and I will agree that epi's tend to be better on there fret work. I had a Squier 51 that I spent almost an hour on filing down high frets and the fret ends were dangerously sharp and needed rounding...

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Fender MIM are much better instrument then the epiphone line from gibson in everyway. both can have a leman in their lines, but the Fenders are much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts