The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By the way, how is everybody liking these guitars? I've been looking for a Strat but sort of cruising for a good buy on something from the Custom Shop. I've read fantastic reviews on these though and I'm tempted to take a closer look. Tonequest loved the 60's reissue (62 I think?) and compared it favourably to Custom Shop guitars costing 2 or 3 times as much.
Any feedback from someone that is outside the honeymoon period? :smile:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry, can't help re: the Tonequest.

If I had $1500 or so to spend on a Strat, I'd seriously consider Warmoth.

You can get a custom Strat to your specs using whatever parts and pickups you like.

The only negative is you can't try before you buy and you have to assemble yourself or pay a pro at your local guitar shop to do the job.

Check out their website which also has a link to their "unofficial" message board where you can get feedback from Warmoth users. There's loads of pics of some really beautiful custom guitars there.

Next in line for me is an acoustic, but after that I'm woking on a custom Tele...

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skydigger, I don't disagree. I assembled a USA Custom Guitars Tele body and neck with Callaham hardware and Fralin pickups that is the finest guitar I've ever owned. This is all good but the only problem is that like it or not you pretty much have to keep it because the resale market for the home built guitar is not good. I really enjoyed the experience and would love to build another someday but there is a downside. Parting it out is probably the best way to sell them.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
By the way, how is everybody liking these guitars? I've been looking for a Strat but sort of cruising for a good buy on something from the Custom Shop. I've read fantastic reviews on these though and I'm tempted to take a closer look. Tonequest loved the 60's reissue (62 I think?) and compared it favourably to Custom Shop guitars costing 2 or 3 times as much.
Any feedback from someone that is outside the honeymoon period? :smile:
I just bought this little lady and she is DA BOMB. it is worth EVERY penny. This one is the 62 reissue hot rod.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Skydigger, I don't disagree. I assembled a USA Custom Guitars Tele body and neck with Callaham hardware and Fralin pickups that is the finest guitar I've ever owned. This is all good but the only problem is that like it or not you pretty much have to keep it because the resale market for the home built guitar is not good. I really enjoyed the experience and would love to build another someday but there is a downside. Parting it out is probably the best way to sell them.
Yep. I agree, Warmoth resale value isn't the best.

I'm a lefty, so when I buy I don't really think about resale. Warmoth owners seem to love their creations though.

I'm a little biased towards companies like Warmoth and Carvin because they offer so many options for the lefty at no extra charge.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I just bought this little lady and she is DA BOMB. it is worth EVERY penny. This one is the 62 reissue hot rod.

Sweet. How much was it?? If you don't mind me asking.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VERY NICE!! and a nice price. Best price I've seen in my part of the country is $1800. Mind me asking where you got it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honestly, I'd stick with Fender and avoid the Warmoth thing (I've tried it, and that's my experience - and that's what I'm sharing).

I've been lusting for those guitars as well, but I'm sort of divided between the '62 Hot Rod and the '59 Thin Skins. (I'm thinking the '59 because I like the whole "6105, slab, CS 50's pups" thing more) They're the same price too, although I'm probably likely to make the trip down south to get one of those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts