The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spotted this old Twin Reverb chassis on eBay a while back. Now, I need a Twin Reverb about as much as I need a second vasectomy, but I put in a bid of $111.11, figuring I wouldn't end up with it anyway. I won.
I am now the proud owner of a 1976 Twin Reverb chassis that's been beat to hell, robbed blind, and probably left out in the rain on several occasions. It's the 100 watt, master volume, non-ultra-linear model according to the serial number. Lots of missing parts - OT, choke, verb OT, several pots, caps, jacks, face plate, couple tube sockets, etc. It's a real beauty.
Twin Reverb1.jpg

I've determined the power transformer works, the chassis is ok, it has a back face plate, and a serial number. Everything else is a wash. Maybe save some wiring.

Looking for tips and ideas on this build. One thing I've heard a lot of is "lose the master volume".
I'm thinking of building it as an AB763 blackface. All opinions & ideas welcome :D

·
Premium Member
5,917 Posts
I spotted this old Twin Reverb chassis on eBay a while back. Now, I need a Twin Reverb about as much as I need a second vasectomy, but I put in a bid of $111.11, figuring I wouldn't end up with it anyway. I won.
I am now the proud owner of a 1976 Twin Reverb chassis that's been beat to hell, robbed blind, and probably left out in the rain on several occasions. It's the 100 watt, master volume, non-ultra-linear model according to the serial number. Lots of missing parts - OT, choke, verb OT, several pots, caps, jacks, face plate, couple tube sockets, etc. It's a real beauty.
View attachment 206489

I've determined the power transformer works, the chassis is ok, it has a back face plate, and a serial number. Everything else is a wash. Maybe save some wiring.

Looking for tips and ideas on this build. One thing I've heard a lot of is "lose the master volume".
I'm thinking of building it as an AB763 blackface. All opinions & ideas welcome :D
I'd ditch the MV, and build it back to early 70s SF spec. Or sell it to me for $112, that would work too.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd ditch the MV, and build it back to early 70s SF spec. Or sell it to me for $112, that would work too.
$112 sounds like a real good deal, but I wouldn't want to burden you with such a beastly beast. ;)

I've been kicking back and forth between BF and SF cosmetics, since I have to buy a face plate anyway. I think silver face might just win out. I'm firmly on the fence.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boy, this should be an interesting thread...I admire guys like you who see "beauty" is something like that train wreck! :)
Well, it's certainly not going to happen over night. Specially with summer finally upon us. I may feel the need to venture outside on occasion. Something like this will probably be more work than starting from scratch with all new parts. But I'm in this for the adventure so it's all good. I decided I'm going to go with a 4/8/16 output transformer to allow some freedom on speaker choices.

·
Premium Member
5,917 Posts
$112 sounds like a real good deal, but I wouldn't want to burden you with such a beastly beast. ;)

I've been kicking back and forth between BF and SF cosmetics, since I have to buy a face plate anyway. I think silver face might just win out. I'm firmly on the fence.
I love SF cosmetics!

I'm always on the hunt for trashed Twins to fix up for myself. I have a cabinet tucked away in the basement already for one.

I also want to find a Twin chassis to build a 4x 6V6 Double Deluxe Reverb.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love SF cosmetics!

I'm always on the hunt for trashed Twins to fix up for myself. I have a cabinet tucked away in the basement already for one.

I also want to find a Twin chassis to build a 4x 6V6 Double Deluxe Reverb.
The 6V6 route has crossed my mind. Probably need a different OT though. You think about 50 watts? 40?

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By Fender's math it should be 44. I'd realistically expect 35.
Another power cutting option I've read about is one where you toggle the Cathode ground (pin 8) to the two outer power tubes. (V7 & V10). Cutting the ground eliminates them out of the circuit, cutting the power by 50%. And if you don't like the tone, you never use it :D

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Not sure if you actually stated this as part of your plan but my one suggestion is...turn it into a head. The reasoning behind this should be fairly obvious. I like the 4 x 6V6 idea @cboutilier mentioned.

·
Premium Member
5,917 Posts
Not sure if you actually stated this as part of your plan but my one suggestion is...turn it into a head. The reasoning behind this should be fairly obvious. I like the 4 x 6V6 idea @cboutilier mentioned.
If I go 1 channel, I could likely fit it into a Super Reverb sized chassis. Which would be cool, as I have a Haggerty head cab for that.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Interesting project. I'm not 100% sure the $111 investment price was a deal. LOL. Free, plus all the parts and your time, still might be uneconomical.

I gutted a '76 non-UL Master Volume Twin. I built an earlier 73 non-MV Twin out of it. It was modded to hell, so I yanked all the crap out and made a nice amp out of it.

This was all the crap I pulled:

The end project looked like this when I was done:

I too like the idea mentioned above. Turn it into a head. You'll end up with a Showman Reverb. They do sound killer these Twins. There is nothing like them.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting project. I'm not 100% sure the $111 investment price was a deal. LOL. Free, plus all the parts and your time, still might be uneconomical.

I gutted a '76 non-UL Master Volume Twin. I built an earlier 73 non-MV Twin out of it. It was modded to hell, so I yanked all the crap out and made a nice amp out of it.

This was all the crap I pulled:

I too like the idea mentioned above. Turn it into a head. You'll end up with a Showman Reverb. They do sound killer these Twins. There is nothing like them.
No Fair! You got a tube with yours!! I'll save all the parts in a box too, just for a laugh. I'm not even saving the boards on this one, they are too far gone, too dirty, to ever get a good solder connection on. Great looking amp BTW. I saved your picture to my files for "reference" purposes, hope you don't mind. I didn't think about going head until StevieMac mentioned it. Makes sense. Better to carry 50lbs in each hand, than to carry 100lbs in one hand. :D

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what were the 2 hose clamps doing in your amp?

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
The Twin I was discussing earlier was not my amp. It was brought to me by a local musician to repair and un-mod. A previous owner had loose tube sockets. They thought it would be a good idea to put a hose clamp around the tube base and socket to help retain everything. LOL. I re-indexed the tube sockets and threw away the hose clamps.

@Lincoln I have a crap ton of great close up pics of my personal 1973 non-push-pull MV Twin reverb. I documented everything. If you would like these pics, let me know. I can share my google-pics folder with you. Some examples here. These are great for studying when you are putting your amp back together ala early 70's non-MV style.

If you decide to go this route, let me know through PM for shared access.

I have good pics of a 1971 Twin Rev as well. Seen here from a distance.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I know this has been suggested all ready ,, I would also go with a head ,, That's what I did when I rebuilt the I bought, not working ,, But not nearly as bad as that though..
fender twin 002.jpg

1 - 20 of 110 Posts