The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
It seems that the article has been updated to no rosewood "on selected models" - I'm smelling a profit motive...

A bamboo fretboard would look pretty cool!
Yeah. Seems like a good sales technique.

As to composite, the Blackbird El Capitan is a composite acoustic that is getting a lot of great reviews for its "woody" sound.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Time to stop whining and realize that man's raping of the worlds resources had to end at some point.

Besides, there's much bigger issues in the world to be concerned about.

Do I prefer rw necks? Yes, by far.
Do I NEED to buy any more guitars?

Technically, no. I plan on keeping what I have for a long, long, long time.

Sheryl Crow said something to the effect of it not being what you want, but wanting what you got.

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
Rosewood in guitars? Complete mice-nuts, in the larger scheme of things.

As long as the country with the largest population on the planet continues to use exotic/rare woods for furniture, just for status over their 999,999,999 neighbors, and have no plans of becoming environmentally aware ever (they just don't give a shite), all the guitar buyers in the world trying to 'save a tree' won't make a bit of difference. A bunch of hooey about nothing.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Rosewood in guitars? Complete mice-nuts, in the larger scheme of things.

As long as the country with the largest population on the planet continues to use exotic/rare woods for furniture, just for status over their 999,999,999 neighbors, and have no plans of becoming environmentally aware ever (they just don't give a shite), all the guitar buyers in the world trying to 'save a tree' won't make a bit of difference. A bunch of hooey about nothing.
Yep. Guitars are the proverbial drop in the bucket of this issue. That said, the synthetic materials are really coming along and that linen composite acoustic guitar sounds pretty darn good in the videos I've heard. It would make a lot of sense up here with our dry winters.

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
Yep. Guitars are the proverbial drop in the bucket of this issue. That said, the synthetic materials are really coming along and that linen composite acoustic guitar sounds pretty darn good in the videos I've heard. It would make a lot of sense up here with our dry winters.
As an F1 fan, I think carbon fibre guitars are sexy as hell. I love the look of weaved, unfinished CF. Others must agree because there are a number of products featuring fake CF-looking trim panels.

A couple of years ago, I stumbled across a Amazon blowout sale of some CF guitars (probably from this den of enablers LOL). All they had left were 12 fret guitars and I was not in the market at the time. I would probably jump on one of those deals now - killing two birds with one stone, if you will.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
As look as it feels good, plays good and sounds good, I really don't give a rat's ass what it is made of.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,837 Posts
Disappointing as the increasing regulations are, it is the direct result of the extreme consumerism of developed nations.

In the guitar industry, most of the instruments manufactured (el-cheapo no-name brands and variations thereof) have no re-sale value and aren't worth stripping for parts, so they eventually find their way into a landfill. How many millions of guitars with rosewood parts have been manufactured only to end up getting tossed in the trash within a few years of being sold? How many other products outside of the music gear industry share the same fate?

It sucks for us consumers, but if our culture doesn't change and we don't put some kind of restrictions on this stuff it will all be gone for good.

I'm personally disappointed because I wanted to build a rosewood tele. :( Not happenin' now.....

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I saw an article the other day that said there are an estimated over 30,000 different types of trees on this planet. I don't think there is a problem if rosewood is not longer used on guitars, do you?

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I saw an article the other day that said there are an estimated over 30,000 different types of trees on this planet. I don't think there is a problem if rosewood is not longer used on guitars, do you?
I'm sure there are other species that will work, but they too may be just as limited (?)

As far as sustainable NA woods go, I don't like maple boards, but I think it's more the finish than anything. Oiled would probably be better than lacquered.
I'd like to try that but not willing to mess up my board by sanding off the lacquer

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Someone blamed China for using up all the rosewood...but yet nobody blames us (North America) from plundering the majority of the worlds fuel resources among many other things?

Blaming other countries for thier part while ignoring our misuses is pretty easy to do huh? Especially when the wealth begins to shift thier way. Kind of makes us look like pouting children.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts