The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are asking $350 used. One owner - bought it a few months ago - apparently it was a store demo so paid a bit less for it new off the floor etc.

Sound like a good deal ? I would use it mostly at home with my Tele and occasional jams out.

Any snags to look for with these amps when buying used ?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Not really any snags, just try to play it to make sure everything works on it. Price is OK, not a great deal, but fair. If you have a 8 Ohms 12" cab, they can sound pretty big through it.

I have a XD combo that I'll never get rid of, great little amp. And I also have a X2 head that I'm selling. I thought they'd be different enough to have both, but they aren't.

·
Premium Member
13,289 Posts
Edit: Wasn't awake with first post. Must have been really not awake. I have a Super Champ X2 Head sitting 1.5 metres away from me.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would try to maybe knock a few $$ off that price ($300-320 sounds more reasonable).

Great amps, used to have the Superchamp XD, really loved it!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
When I was looking for an amp I demo'd that little amp.

Great Modelling amp. Couple of nice sounds from it.

They are exactly the same as a Mustang series amp, with the difference being the Superchamp has a Tube Preamp, and the Mustang is all Solid State.

Same amp Models, same effects, same FUSE software, etc

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Apologies, but @djmarcelca's post is almost completely inaccurate.

(1) SCXD/SCX2 is a hybrid tube/SS pre-amp (if you consider the inverter as part of the pre-amp, since that's the only 12AX7 in the amp) and tube output (dual 6V6), with a DSP modelling engine. Mustang IS all SS and a more flexible DSP modelling engine.

(2) While both Mustang and SCX2 can use FUSE software, it is configured completely differently for each amp.

(3) The underlying modelling capabilities of the two are not all that similar either.

(4) Some good backup material and discussions at links below:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/...3697-fender-super-champ-x2-service-manual.pdf

Fender Forums • View topic - Super Champ X2 vs Mustang III V2

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/mustang-i-vs-super-champ-xd-x2.1462276/

·
Premium Member
18,190 Posts
Sounds a bit high to me, not a "deal" per se. But fender price hikes mean it isnt an unreasonable price.

May find a blues jr for that though ;)

·
Premium Member
13,289 Posts
The X2 definitely has a tube power amp section - two 6V6s. In the clean channel I can use Weber Mini Mass attenuator (I live in an apartment) and put the volume to 8.5 and definitely get real power tube section break up. There seems to be mixed statements on the 12AX7. It is described as a pre-amp tube, 1/2 phase inverter - 1/2 pre-amp, or a pre-amp tube. I am going to have to look into this further. On the Fender site it doesn't really say what the 12AX7 does, but it is definite about the tube power amp section. Time to dig up the manual.

The DSP F/X are decent on this amp. I tend to use the chorus mostly and sometimes the reverb. Channel One has the voicings off. Channel Two has the pre-amp DSP voicings on (16 voicings). I use channel one - clean tube driven - up to 90% of the time with pedals. The tweed DSP amp models are well done and I occasional use the Champ amp voicing. It does tweed overdrive well.

Combos are over $500 new, so $300 is a reasonable price IMO. Head for $250. (I have the head - NOT for sale))

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
We never heard from the OP, it's been a month ago.
Oh well ...
LOL. I say that kind of thing too: on Jan 1, I'll say "Haven't seen you since last year!" You're right, we haven't heard from the OP since last month, but his post on 28-Feb-2017 was actually only 3 days ago :)

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, well I offered 3 and he said no so that's that. A friend has a few Fender amps so no problem to borrow one that he's not using. As for an X2, if it comes to it I might just buy new rather than mess around with kijiji and such but no rush right now.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Seeing they are going for over $500.00 + tax and it was like new, I think that was not a bad deal. I don't think you could do much better as far as price goes.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I ended up getting a new one today so that's that done.

Not too many places have them in stock right now: L&M only had one in Ontario and that was London or Kingston or some place and Cosmo had one which is near to me so that's where I went.

Nice little amp and goes well with my Tele.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's it for gear; ain't buying nothing more. Stuff I have should see me out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts