The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on these aside from "heavy" and "loud"? I haven't emailed the seller with any questions as yet. There was also a "super twin project" up and I'm wondering if it's the same amp.

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't even know they made such an animal
I thought it just went to evil twin and the UL models, but much like the Mesa Coliseum we got this as well!

180W clean goes well with the benched 130W my 2203 puts out. The price is right, thought it may require a retube (expensive) and re-capping (less expensive).

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
The only thing I know about those amps is from:
Fender "EVIL TWIN" Dual Showman
That is very different from the Super Twin.

@Budda , some of the Super Twin's use a 6C10 tube which is very hard to find and expensive. It's something you may want to check up on before you buy.
Other than that, see what you think of the sound. Lot's of guys don't like it, many others do. Depends on your application.

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is very different from the Super Twin.

@Budda , some of the Super Twin's use a 6C10 tube which is very hard to find and expensive. It's something you may want to check up on before you buy.
Other than that, see what you thinnk of the sound. Lot's of guys don't like it, many others do. Depends on your application.
I did some googling and as far as I can tell, the 6C10 (discontinued) is for the reverb model. The one I found is the regular one and from what I saw of the tube chart, doesnt require it.

Waiting to hear back from the seller.

·
Premium Member
3,856 Posts
I bought one new in 1980 because it was the biggest loudest amp in the store, and because Ted Nugent used them. It was a turd. I would stay away. Cleans were good but the distortion channel was awful. Way too heavy and loud and not anywhere near as good as a plain old twin, if heavy and loud is what you are after.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
saw Gordie Johnson using one at Grossman's tavern and it sounded great

I was surprised, as everywhere I've referenced, ppl thought they were crap

I would try it out first

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought one new in 1980 because it was the biggest loudest amp in the store, and because Ted Nugent used them. It was a turd. I would stay away. Cleans were good but the distortion channel was awful. Way too heavy and loud and not anywhere near as good as a plain old twin, if heavy and loud is what you are after.
No one buys a twin for distortion ;). Headroom is the name of the game. I'll definitely be trying it out first, as I have a suspicion the caps need to be done.

@StevieMac @keithb7 or anyone else - can we confirm that the non-reverb version does *not* have the 6C10?

·
Premium Member
3,856 Posts
No one buys a twin for distortion ;). Headroom is the name of the game. I'll definitely be trying it out first, as I have a suspicion the caps need to be done.

@StevieMac @keithb7 or anyone else - can we confirm that the non-reverb version does *not* have the 6C10?
I should mention, mine used to intermittently cut out on me and no tech could ever figure it out because it would always work fine when I took it in. Once I was playing and there was a large blue flash and smell of burning electronics. No idea what happened, but I had it retubed and sold it for $400 in the 90's. The guts are a real bowl of spaghetti too.

Pretty sure the 6C10 is only for the reverb.

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Techs must love this thing :/ damn!

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
My guitarist has been using one with some hefty EVs for years. Absolute magic if you want big bold cleans. Loves pedals too.

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
You might end up really liking it. A speaker swap did wonders for mine.
This one has the square magnet speakers - I think it came with two different types depending on if it had reverb or not?

I went to the celestion site (because my 412 is also 105lbs hahaha) and I noticed they have a coming-soon Neo 250W 12". It would cut 20lbs from my Orange cab and at least 10 from this one, likely more.

I also checked the tube store and 6 JJ's isn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be.

Edit: I wonder if the tube store is having a sale? I'm on their mailing list and searched, nothing comes up. The JJ's are nearly half price of L&M. Also there's a blackface reissue for the right price in case this doesn't pan out.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts