The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play acoustics but have been GASSING for an electric. I have always loved the sound of a strat. Being a novice I thought there were a handful of different models over the years. Well I now know there are a few hundred different strats and I have no idea what I am doing.
I would love some fender wisdom from the membership.
I am a novice but i don't want a cheapo that I will regret buying.
Not looking for vintage, too $$$
It seems the American made are the way to go.
Maple neck/rosewood fret-board?
Alder body?
Other then the above, I am lost.
I know zero about pick ups, tone controls, selector switches .......
What do I look for to get that "True strat" sound.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Find a strat that feels good, one that say's take me home....
Most strats have a standard config for knobs and switches, the pups can always be replaced and there is a fine selection of them out there.
If it's the original sound of the strat your looking for stick with single coils, to me HB's just don't look right on a strat. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get the Strat that puts such a grin on your face that the only way to get it off is to try smacking yourself. :) I feel that way about a few guitars but can't manage to bring them home yet.

·
Registered
788 Posts
sounds like any american standard with single coil would be right for you, there are a few used one's in the classifieds :wave:

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's been my experience that the American, then the Japanese strats are the best. I've tried several guitars from other countries and the feel, sound and attention to detail are just not there.

If you can't afford a new American strat then watch the used market for a reasonable deal. The good thing about buying used is that if you pay the going or market price for a particular guitar it will still be worth at least that much months or probably even years from the purchase date if kept in good condition.

To determine what is a reasonable price for a used strat you can consult the numerous recently completed strat auctions on EBay. Like it or not, Ebay does provide us with a good source for worldwide, used merchandise pricing.

As the other memebers have mentioned, once you have the guitar you can change pickups, hardware, etc. to customize the look and sound of the guitar. Starting with an American strat however will give an instrument made from decent wood (alder/ash), a comfortable feeling & well built neck and decent hardware that may produce the sound you are looking for right out of the case.

Good luck on your quest!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
once you've decided on an American Strat (great choice by the way) I think your next step is to try out different models paying close attention to the neck.

How does it feel when you play it?
I've noticed that this part of the guitar is the most personal. The radius, fret size and just general feel can be very subjective. What feels great to you make be auckward to me.

Playa bunch and make note of how the neck feels. You may find a perticular neck is your perfect fit. When you have a preference, look out for Strats that have that neck and look for the best deal you can get.

Boby shape of a Strat is pretty standard and pickup choices are abundant.

Just my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GTmaker said:
once you've decided on an American Strat (great choice by the way) I think your next step is to try out different models paying close attention to the neck.

How does it feel when you play it?
I've noticed that this part of the guitar is the most personal. The radius, fret size and just general feel can be very subjective. What feels great to you make be auckward to me.

Playa bunch and make note of how the neck feels. You may find a perticular neck is your perfect fit. When you have a preference, look out for Strats that have that neck and look for the best deal you can get.

Boby shape of a Strat is pretty standard and pickup choices are abundant.

Just my .02 cents worth.
What are the different neck profiles available on a strat? What are they named?

Also, are the Japanese strats very different from the American models?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Kinda guessing at some of these specs but here goes anyways.

neck radius....range 7.5 to 13
basicaly how wide is the fretboard. The story goes that the higher the number, the flatter the fretboard and the better for solo work but you do give a little on the chording side.

neck shape...C D V or combination.
this is the shape of the neck as it pertains to the thickness, flatness and roundness on the bottom side of the fretboard. If you have a preference, this is what will make it or break it.

Fret size...light, medium, jumbo.
Its the least important (IMO) of the three but something to consider none the less.

good luck

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I have played a few of the Fender American Highway One models and was very impressed for the price... for around a grand you can have a brand new american strat.

I actually just laid away a highway one tele as a backup guitar. My main guitar is a fender mexican fat strat that I've had modified with fat 50's and upgraded bridge and tuners and all that jazz... It sounds just as good as some americans i've tried.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info GTmaker.
Another thing I notice that there are many different bridges.
What are the best. I dont need temalo bar.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Hey Canadian

the string thru body would be the most common and most typical strat style.
I think that this style will give you the true Strat sound. Dont worry about the floating trem part. If you dont want to use the tremelo bar, just have the trem plate flat on the body and not floating. I hope this makes sense to you.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Highway 1

The highway 1 is an alright guitar.........I have a couple of friends who purchased one and then upgraded the PUPs/electronics and hardware.
If i'm not mistaken the neck and bodies on these models are American but everything else is Mexican

Ray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts