The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fender set to replace rosewood fretboards on Mexican-made and American Elite guitars and basses

On 2 January this year, the CITES law came into force, putting restrictions on how rosewood is traded across international borders - we're now seeing the first effects of the legislation, as Fender announces plans to cut down on its use of the wood.

According to Andertons, from June/July, all Mexican-made and American Elite guitars and basses will no longer feature rosewood fingerboards.

Mexican models will switch to Pau Ferro, a wood similar to rosewood that has previously been used in the Stevie Ray Vaughan signature Strat.

American Elite models, on the other hand, will come equipped with ebony.

It's likely other manufacturers will follow suit in the coming months, so a word of warning to rosewood fans: get your guitar-buying in now.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/fend...an-made-and-american-elite-guitars-and-basses

Fender Announce Transition From Rosewood - CITES | Andertons Blog

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Well picture going to a fancy restaurant and paying the big price for veal scallopini, but then finding out it's really tenderized pork chops you're being served (that actually happens a lot, apparently)

If you're going to use that stuff, at least make it clear and lower your prices (*cough Gibson *cough)

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
Ebony, Richlite, Pau Ferro, roasted whatever,... doesn't matter. I don't give a rat's a**. As long as it works well,... sounds good, feels good and isn't ugly.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well picture going to a fancy restaurant and paying the big price for veal scallopini, but then finding out it's really tenderized pork chops you're being served (that actually happens a lot, apparently)
If you're going to use that stuff, at least make it clear and lower your prices (*cough Gibson *cough)
Make it clear... Yes, I agree.

But... Building a Better Fingerboard

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ebony, Richlite, Pau Ferro, roasted whatever,... doesn't matter. I don't give a rat's a**. As long as it works well,... sounds good, feels good and isn't ugly.
I agree. Is there a commonly used fretboard material that is generally agreed at failing your criteria?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm not picky. As long as it's durable and is aesthetically pleasing, it's fine by me. I own a Gibson with a roasted maple board, so I may be the odd one out, but any step towards sustainability and more environmentally conscious practices is a good plan in my books.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Isn't Ebony also high up on the endangered list?

I seem to recall a PRS documentary ( not PBS ) where they actually bought lots of forest, to own their own Ebony supplies?

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
aha!!

yep that's it

ps I have a Pau Ferro fretboard on an SRV & like it a lot...in fact, it's my fave strat neck

Reactions: Gimper

·
Premium Member
10,013 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what happens to rosewood boarded used guitar values in time.
Only thing is, there's literally millions of them out there.

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Yeah, that's called marketing
Yes, they are masters at it. However, for those in the know, others have been using it for awhile now, so it's nothing new, although Gibson tries to get the less educated to believe it.

·
Premium Member
13,075 Posts
I agree. Is there a commonly used fretboard material that is generally agreed at failing your criteria?
Uncertain of the material here, but it certainly is ugly,

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Have you owned a guitar with a Richlite fretboard? I'm curious...what did you not like about it?
I played a few acoustic guitars with richlite boards and I didn't like how it felt. I would describe it as feeling like hard plastic. I suppose you would just get used to it but off the cuff it was a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
I've got my two Fenders - a Partscaster Tele for which I ordered a MIM Classic '60s neck with a rosewood fretboard, and a MIM Classic '60s Start with a rosewood board (which I am not certain I am going to keep) - so I am fine. I also have my 2013 SG Standard which has a rosewood board. If I buy any other guitars those will either be a second 2013 SG Standard/'61 Reissue (essentially the exact same guitars) or an ES-335. Whichever I choose would be bought used so I will be able to get rosewood on those as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts