The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Fender Pure Vintage Hot Rod Capacitor

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  vadsy 
#1 ·
Anyone familiar with these? I opened up one of my guitars and found this inside. Can't find much info, just some eBay listings. Who is making these for Fender and is this supposed to be the 0.047uF alternative?

See less See more
#10 ·
Uh oh, this has the potential to turn into a 'do boutique caps sound better than generic' thread (tune into the TDPRI to see what happens when this topic comes up... )
I once drank the 'boutique' cap kool-aid but that was a few years ago now.
IMHO, just get a good DMM that accurately measures capacitance, and look at that value -- its the only relevant one to me vs. construction/cosmetics...

#11 ·
I'm not after a debate but I do like to use something with a bit of quality behind it. Most of the time I just use the Orange caps that can be had for a buck or two. In this case I was just trying to track down the origins of a stock guitar.

#13 · (Edited)
It is in one of these https://wildwestguitars.com/electri...tage-hot-rod-50s-telecaster-reclaimed-redwood

I just pulled it apart to do a little checking over and maintenance, the cap caught my eye. I was mostly curious about the pots being used since its supposed to be a wide range style pickup paired with a single coil bridge. It all sounds great just needs some new strings and the string tree screw filed down.

#17 ·
I honestly don't understand why some think that a cap which bleeds off frequency content to ground has any sort of magical impact on the signal that does pass out the guitar jack. Certainly its acual capacitance value has an impact. But beyond that, what, other than cosmetic value?

Precicsely.... Unless it bleeds some aspect of the frequency more or less than another cap. It makes no @#$%^& sense whatsoever

#18 ·
I honestly don't understand why some think that a cap which bleeds off frequency content to ground has any sort of magical impact on the signal that does pass out the guitar jack. Certainly its acual capacitance value has an impact. But beyond that, what, other than cosmetic value?
Without a cap your tone pot is useless.

#21 ·
Actually, on a slightly less coy tack, I was in a place in Montreal the other day, called Abra Electronics ( ABRA Electronics Corp. ), and they had a rather extensive selection of high-voltage non-polarized caps, of the mustard, orange-drop and other varieties. And while their Sparkfun equivalent of the Hammond 1590B was not the $4.95 posted price, it was still a lot cheaper than many other retailers sell it for.

IN any event, back to the thread, already in progress.

#23 ·
Just to be a bit more clear, I started this thread only because I was curious about who made the capacitor for Fender and if anyone had seen them before, not questioning tone quality. I like using quality components and it does matter in my opinion but they don't need to be magical.

#24 ·
Just to be a bit more clear, I started this thread only because I was curious about who made the capacitor for Fender and if anyone had seen them before, not questioning tone quality. I like using quality components and it does matter in my opinion but they don't need to be magical.

Also to clarify.. I hope I didn't offend. I just meant that sometimes people ascribe mojo to things that have negligible practical effect.
Some of my best sounding amps contained whatever I had on the bench.
But yes- it is nice to have the correct original spec item in a guitar or amp. And sorry- no I don't know the answer to your question so apologies for the thread derail
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.