The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with these? I opened up one of my guitars and found this inside. Can't find much info, just some eBay listings. Who is making these for Fender and is this supposed to be the 0.047uF alternative?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Yes, it's pretty much the same as .047uF. (within +/- 5%)
No idea who makes it, but it's sure a bargain compared to the Gibson bumblebee knock-offs! :D

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone on another forum pointed out that Musicians Friend is selling them. They're like 16 bucks. I've never seen these before so it got me interested.

·
Premium Member
5,165 Posts
I've seen the 450 volt version of those Fender caps for sale on eBay for over $50 each. Fender uses them on those hand-wired DR reissues.
Somebody needs to cut one apart.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Uh oh, this has the potential to turn into a 'do boutique caps sound better than generic' thread (tune into the TDPRI to see what happens when this topic comes up... )
I once drank the 'boutique' cap kool-aid but that was a few years ago now.
IMHO, just get a good DMM that accurately measures capacitance, and look at that value -- its the only relevant one to me vs. construction/cosmetics...

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not after a debate but I do like to use something with a bit of quality behind it. Most of the time I just use the Orange caps that can be had for a buck or two. In this case I was just trying to track down the origins of a stock guitar.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
24,377 Posts
I honestly don't understand why some think that a cap which bleeds off frequency content to ground has any sort of magical impact on the signal that does pass out the guitar jack. Certainly its acual capacitance value has an impact. But beyond that, what, other than cosmetic value?

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Just because you can't see, or hear, or measure the crystal lattice, doesn't mean it isn't there.

What else would explain haunting mids?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I honestly don't understand why some think that a cap which bleeds off frequency content to ground has any sort of magical impact on the signal that does pass out the guitar jack. Certainly its acual capacitance value has an impact. But beyond that, what, other than cosmetic value?

Precicsely.... Unless it bleeds some aspect of the frequency more or less than another cap. It makes no @#$%^& sense whatsoever

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Without a cap your tone pot is useless.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts