The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting lazy in my old age. I play in a local bar jam once a week. For the past year I’ve been playing acoustic there because I like the ability to show up, plug in, and play with no fuss. Lately I’ve been wanting to play electric there but my two giggable amps are too heavy and require at least two trips at each end to load and unload the car. Also my back isn’t up to loading in a heavy amp. I went on a quest for a light, small size amp that could keep up to a drummer and that I could carry in one hand with my guitar in the other. After listening to countless online demos I decided to try out a Katana, a Blues Cube, and a Fender Pro Junior. The closest Long and McQuade in North Vancouver had all three in stock so a trip to town was in order. The one that came home was the Fender. The other two would have worked but there is something about the sound of a tube amp running flat out that speaks to me. It was also the smallest and lightest. I mostly play an older SG special. It sounds awesome with this amp, as good as with any amp I’ve played. With my strat the amp just sings, especially positions two and four. I’ve never had an amp where I liked those positions. I rented it for a month to give me some time with it but I’m pretty sure it won’t be going back. I can’t believe how loud and full sounding this very little package is.

·
Administrator
16,698 Posts
If you've got a 1x12 cab kicking around try running it into that.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a 1x12 but it would defeat the purpose. I bought it to be a lightweight amp for live use :)

But yes, I will try it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Is there a PA? I saw a cool DI the other day that had all kinds of emulation for about $200. Not sure if this was it or not, but Radial usually makes good stuff. The crowd won’t know the difference ;).

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a PA? I saw a cool DI the other day that had all kinds of emulation for about $200. Not sure if this was it or not, but Radial usually makes good stuff. The crowd won’t know the difference ;).

I thought about something like that. I use a DI with my acoustic so I’m sure it would work. In the end I just wanted a tube amp. It’s irrational but there it is.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
I had one of the fists pro Jr amp in Canada. Was around 1992 or so. From when the guitar shop was called Musiplex.

Gigged tons with it. It was a rock machine. I particularly liked that amp tilted back. Good choice.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I like the Pro Jr more than the Blues Jr. A great little grab n' go.

I jammed through a guy's dual Pro Jr stereo rig one night. It was indeed a righteous tone.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
OK....obviously I don't get the LOVE for the Pro Jr..
I have a Blues Junior and I have not played a Pro Jr.
Having said that....
I don't think I have to get into all the details BUT the Blues junior seems to offer a lot more amp compared to the Pro jr.
What am I missing here...?
G.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Having said that....
I don't think I have to get into all the details BUT the Blues junior seems to offer a lot more amp compared to the Pro jr.
G.
The Blues Jr is mostly preamp breakup while the Pro Junior is more power tube breakup. It depends what sound you are after. They are both excellent amps but they sound quite different.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I also like the Pro JR as it is simple and you have to work at it to get what you like soundwise. Keep it simple.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's the noise floor like in the PJ IV?? That was the deal breaker for me in the previous versions...
With no guitar plugged in at full volume you can hear a little hiss but very quiet. With a strat plugged in there is a lot of hum. With an SG with humbuckers it is much less than the strat. Overall it is about the same as my other tube amps.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
The Blues Jr is mostly preamp breakup while the Pro Junior is more power tube breakup. It depends what sound you are after. They are both excellent amps but they sound quite different.
saw the demo and the breakup sounds were just distortion.....you should be able to get that from any of your 6 or 7 overdrive pedals on your board.
I had to laugh on the statement. " a 10" speaker reacts quicker then a 12" ....cammon........ that what comedy routines are made of.

Sorry still dont get it...
G.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
great choice
I have loved the Pro Jr. since it came out. Part of my love for it comes from it's direct topology lineage back to tweed Fender's with a tone and a volume control.
It's a great sounding amp no matter which version (and I do think I've owned them all at some point)
Still have my first tweed one from way back and a purple tolex version along with a Custom Shop version and a Woody 60th anniversary version.
My band did a live CD at the Orbit Room a few years back and the Pro JR was my amp of choice.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Having said that....
G.
For me, a blues jr is only clean platform amp. I find the drive tone to be terrible. I never put the master below 10.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts