The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On paper, it looks like someone read my mind on this one, almost. 15-20 watts. '65 circuit, tube preamp, power and reverb. Plus a built in compressor, overdrive, AND attenuator. There is also effects loop, recording line out and headphones out. The only thing I'd do different is have 12" speaker instead of ten.

Current street price is OUCH though, $1000 US. But if you were to get half decent pedals and a Weber attenuator to an equivalent amp without these added features, you would be adding around $400.

Currently, all of my playing is at home

Have a look - http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2152000000

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Robert1950 said:
On paper, it looks like someone read my mind on this one, almost. 15-20 watts. '65 circuit, tube preamp, power and reverb. Plus a built in compressor, overdrive, AND attenuator. There is also effects loop, recording line out and headphones out. The only thing I'd do different is have 12" speaker instead of ten.
Current street price is OUCH though, $1000 US. But if you were to get half decent pedals and a Weber attenuator to an equivalent amp without these added features, you would be adding around $400.
Currently, all of my playing is at home
Have a look - http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2152000000

...i believe fender is also introducing (finally!) a princeton reverb reissue.

i DO like the addition of an effects loop on the recording amp, however.

-dh

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
There are a bunch of things I don't like about this amp, and reasons why it shouldn't really be a "Princeton".

-One of the best things about Princeton's is they are a perfect size and weight. This Princeton Recording Amp is 45 lbs from what I read on another forum

-If they were going to make an 'improvement' to the Princeton Design, they should have added a 12" speaker

-Most people running these amps prefer to run their own effects. I personally would prefer to use what I use and not what Fender supplies. But these effects and the attenuator are a good reason why the amp has a $1000 USD price tag on it. I personally also don't need a attenuator on an amp that is supposed to be rated around 18 watts.

-They should have incorporated the attenuator control to blend in with the design more. As in adding it to the normal face plate and not adding that new faceplate below. Granted that's a cosmetic thing, but Fender amps look cool! That addition does not.

- They add effects....and don't add Tremolo! A classic Princeton feature!

You can still get used Silverface Princeton Reverbs for pretty good deals. Especially if you are not overlly concerned out them being totally stock. If you are not buying 'collectable' ones, you can get them for half the going prices. I personally play the amps because of the sound, not it's collectability. They are point to point wired, which some people including myself prefer. And you can choose to add whatever effects you want.

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
torndownunit said:
There are a bunch of things I don't like about this amp, and reasons why it shouldn't really be a "Princeton".
I've never had any use for tremolo and most likely never will

Compressor and OD are the two pedals I'd most likely use.

And believe me, I need an attenuator since all my current playing is a home.

And I'd likely keep reverb at 2.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
It's an interesting amp that will be useful for some people. I am just saying they really dropped the ball releasing this as a "Princeton". The guy sums it up perfect in the video when he basically says 'people have been asking them for a Princeton RI for years, but we decided we'd give them this instead'. The amp has a pretty crazy price tag, and from the few reports I have heard the effects are not that good in it, especially the compression. They should have offered a stripped down version of this amp as well.

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
torndownunit said:
They should have offered a stripped down version of this amp as well.

Yes I agree,... with an attenuator though :D

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
torndownunit said:
It's an interesting amp that will be useful for some people. I am just saying they really dropped the ball releasing this as a "Princeton". The guy sums it up perfect in the video when he basically says 'people have been asking them for a Princeton RI for years, but we decided we'd give them this instead'. The amp has a pretty crazy price tag, and from the few reports I have heard the effects are not that good in it, especially the compression. They should have offered a stripped down version of this amp as well.
...i have it on good authority that they are (finally!) introducing a genuine princeton reverb reissue.

-dh

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
david henman said:
...i have it on good authority that they are (finally!) introducing a genuine princeton reverb reissue.

-dh
Even though I own a 1968 one, I would likely buy a RI as well. It would be nice to have a second one as more of a 'beater'.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
I have my doubts it will be hand wired. But not all PCB board amps are junk, they CAN be made right and Fender does make some good ones. The Deluxe Reverb RI is a great amp.

I am really curious as to what the price range will be though on a Princeton RI.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
torndownunit said:
I have my doubts it will be hand wired. But not all PCB board amps are junk, they CAN be made right and Fender does make some good ones. The Deluxe Reverb RI is a great amp.

I am really curious as to what the price range will be though on a Princeton RI.
Some great PCB amps out there. It really boils down to the components used. Caps trannies etc. Fender does tend to go cheap in the PCB components that's all.

As for the Deluxe Reverb RI, too harsh and sterile for my liking.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
The only ones I have heard have had mods done to them (bright cut, Weber speakers), and they sounded quite good. So far I have yet to buy an amp vintage or not that I didn't have to to do SOME kind of mod on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts