The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you like offset guitars? Do you like Telecasters? Do you like your Teles to come from the official source?

Then your blasphemous dreams have come true!

Scroll down on this Reverb page to see some offset Telecasters from Fender announced at NAMM 2016.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It kind of looks like an Ibanez Talman. But I have to admit, I like the looks of the Talman a lot more.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
Yea, the 'tele' doesn't do it for me, but this is interesting

Vox Startstream

I'd try one, even with the pod-like electronics installed.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think moves like that just water down an amazing brand. The tele's a plank with a certain specific shape. It seems like they're trying to reinvent the wheel. More ridiculous marketing.

Those Vox guitars look pretty rad, although I have the same misgivings over the electronics below the bridge.

·
Registered
570 Posts

ah the Telemaster... hasn't just about every bolt-on boutique builder in the business done something like this already? and it does resemble a Talman...

actually, I might like the Talman better...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I'm thinking the Talman looks more like Godin's LG/Radiator/Exit 22/SD profile. Here's an LG ferinstance.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually have a Godin Radiator. The one with the dark black pearl pickguard. I love how it looks. Really light on the strap too. Gonna pull that one down tonight I think...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I had a lemon yellow Radiator - first Godin I ever scored. Fun guitar. I got rid of it several years ago. Now I want another one! So it goes.

These offset Teles... I'd rather have a Jazzmaster.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I'm thinking the Talman looks more like Godin's LG/Radiator/Exit 22/SD profile. Here's an LG ferinstance.

When I saw the Fenders, this is what came to my mind. I would take the Godin over the Fenders in a heartbeat.

Reactions: metrick

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I kind of agree with the people saying leave the Tele alone, but what if they had just named it something else? Would there be the outrage (for lack of a better word)?

I kind of like it for what it is. An interesting, not so run of the mill, without getting crazy, offset guitar with Tele type pickups and I would assume a similar sound.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
This version of a Tele has been around for years with the partscaster crowd and I think it looks way more like a Jazzmaster/Jaguar than a Godin. The Telecaster is awesome the way it is and I wouldn't change it up.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
Ya I saw the pic, thought it was a jazzmaster with tele electronics

·
Premium Member
5,161 Posts
ah the Telemaster... hasn't just about every bolt-on boutique builder in the business done something like this already?
Yup, by no means a new idea but looks like Fender is now cashing in on it. Mike Potvin sells telemaster templates that look just like the guitars in the picture. You can buy tele-just about anything bodies these days.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
All of which kinda begs the question - what is the essential nature of a Telecaster? I always thought it was that iconic body shape and the classic single coil configuration.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts