The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing special. Usual 6 months 0% interest. A few with nominal gift cards.

Flyers

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
1,070 Posts
Fender is probably the last company that I’d buy a new product from. They’ve just continued to go up and up in price (new) with no improvement in quality whatsoever. Truthfully I’m a little bit convinced that they don’t do much final setup/QA on the stuff coming to Canada as most everything on the wall has dental floss for strings, sky high action, and cheese grater frets.

Fender the brand is legendary. Fender the company is meaningless.

W.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Fender is probably the last company that I’d buy a new product from. They’ve just continued to go up and up in price (new) with no improvement in quality whatsoever. Truthfully I’m a little bit convinced that they don’t do much final setup/QA on the stuff coming to Canada as most everything on the wall has dental floss for strings, sky high action, and cheese grater frets.

W.
Sound like someone who knows little about what he is talking about. A lot of Fenders newer offerings are some of the best they've had in years. Personally I can speak to the American Original line that replaced the American Vintage. Its improved in quality and has come down in price by about $400.
As far as setup I'm convinced thats the responsibility of the music store. An example I can describe is, if you go in to Long&Mcquade to try out, especially on Martins and Gibson's. The setups are not good. The strings are usually dead. Now go in to Folkway music in Kitchener and every guitar plays like butter and I've yet to run in to a guitar on the wall with dead strings.
When I buy any electric or even acoustic I am expecting I'll need a setup.
If Fender isn't your thing thats fine. But at least get your facts straight. Dental floss for strings? Really? The first thing I do with any new guitar is change the strings.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts

W.
I agree.

I'm so curious when people constantly rip Gibson a new one, and yet Fender (at least as bad with QA, etc) is treated like everyone's darling 'vintage maker'. People with too much screen time at the expense of fretboard time? Probably.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Correct. Nothing special. They have their Fender, Gibson and Yorkville months and it's pretty much always the same thing.

Then you have companies like Cosmos Music and The Arts Music Store. Totally different and at least worth taking a look.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts

W.
You should try my strat it’s a special one.:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
I want a good tele really bad.. and would love a blues jr or bassbreaker.. Even at 0% for 6 months I couldn't talk my wife into letting me get anything else for a while lol

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,414 Posts
I got a US 2016 tele from Cosmo about a year ago came with 9s on it which is ok because I’ve been using the high E to floss my teeth with since then.

I did set up on it for 11s but the nut slots were too high and it was twanging out up around the 15th fret and went out of tune on the open D And A chords.

Anyway took it back for a set up and the tech guy said they are notorious bad from the factory. He lowered the nut slots and did a set up while I was standing there. So now it’s my best set up guitar for all the chords being in tune when you just tune the open strings and don’t have to compromise them so that chords are in tune.

Unfortunately, I recently got a Firebird which suits me a lot better than the tele.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Anyway took it back for a set up and the tech guy said they are notorious bad from the factory.
I wouldn't expect them to be great from the factory. Not much sense in the factory doing a setup when many of us prefer different things. Yes if you spend way more money and buy a boutique build from a small builder you're going to get a well set up guitar that plays fantastic. Or you can buy a lower end Fender or Gibson and take it to a talented luthier and have a guitar that plays fantastic for much less. I'm the guy that buys the high end guitars but I don't put those down that can only afford the less expensive guitars. Yes the less expensive guitar might need some fret work, etc. But its less expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts

W.
Why you raining so hard on this parade? It's not a rant thread.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Fender American Standard - Made in an American factory by Mexicans.

Fender Standard - Made in Mexico by Mexicans.
MIM
MIA

It's all marketing. They certainly don't have inferior machining and tooling in either factory.

Reactions: colchar

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
1,070 Posts
Why you raining so hard on this parade? It's not a rant thread.
I'll say what I like, thanks. I love Fender products, just not the ones being made by the company that calls itself Fender today. Leo would be appalled if he saw some of the shoddy work that passes for new guitars on the wall. If I'm buying a $4500 CS Fender or even an $1800 (?!) American Pro, basic problems like sharp fret ends and high string action/poor intonation should be rectified BEFORE the guitar hits the wall for the customer to see, not after. Case in point, I bought a USA Clapton Strat at the end of 2016 and returned it inside of 2 weeks; the fretwork was pretty atrocious and the finish work was mediocre at best.

W.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Fender and Gibson both suffer from the same situation.

Their business model is based on three things:

- Making the same product for 50+ years
- Banking their success on a logo
- Capitulating to stock owners (compromising quality for profitability)

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
I'll say what I like, thanks. I love Fender products, just not the ones being made by the company that calls itself Fender today. Leo would be appalled if he saw some of the shoddy work that passes for new guitars on the wall. If I'm buying a $4500 CS Fender or even an $1800 (?!) American Pro, basic problems like sharp fret ends and high string action/poor intonation should be rectified BEFORE the guitar hits the wall for the customer to see, not after. Case in point, I bought a USA Clapton Strat at the end of 2016 and returned it inside of 2 weeks; the fretwork was pretty atrocious and the finish work was mediocre at best.

W.
Yes, your spirit of comraderie and pleasantness must be shared and of course your jaded opinion reflects the general state of Fender products as we've all experienced them.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts