The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
At least their sticking to musical instruments and the like. I'll get worried when they start buying insurance companies, food services or The Gap.

But seriously though, is this good for the consumer or is FMIC trying to monopolize the market?

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When they bought Guild they closed the factory and had the guitars coming off of Fender automated lines. Then they bought Tacoma to build the Guild acoustics. When they bought Jackson, they closed the factory and now Jacksons are coming off the Fender lines. At first it was a good move supply wise because before you would have to wait to get a Guild or a Jackson, then suddenly they were everywhere. Then the constant price increases happened. They had to increase the prices, after all they had put so much effort into reducing the costs of manufacture............

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Sounds like Fender is trying to play "World Domination". I'm sure it is fun for their senior management (with bonuses and all) but eventually they will implode.

·
Premium Member
17,331 Posts
Sounds like Fender is trying to play "World Domination". I'm sure it is fun for their senior management (with bonuses and all) but eventually they will implode.
Very well said.

"The Rise and Fall of the Fender Empire"
....I'll wait for the movie version...LOL

Dave

·
Registered
872 Posts
Poor Hammer. I think Fender has killed some companies it bought, Guild for one. Hammer makes some sweet stuff and it may get hurt too. I'm not a fan of Ovation so I'm not to worried there.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Poor Hammer. I think Fender has killed some companies it bought, Guild for one.

That's what usually happens when a company is bought out when the produce is relatively easy to produce. In the end, some companies most valuable assets are not their manufacturing technology but their trademark and their distribution network.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the 80s people talked about pre-CBS. Now we are seeing alot of talk of pre-Fender.............

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
In the 80s people talked about pre-CBS. Now we are seeing alot of talk of pre-Fender.............
that doesn't change the fact that the 70's fender stuff was largely garbage. and yet is commanding higher prices all the time. when i see a 75 strat for $3500, i want to spit coffee all over the screen.

fender's not the evil empire, but they're working at it. i think the guild stuff is as well made as before. the job losses are a shame, that's for sure, but the product itself hasn't suffered, IMHO. tacomas were poorly built before (and owned by young chang, the first time an overseas company made instruments in the USA, as an interesting aside), gretsches were poorly distributed... i think fender sees opportunity and jumps at it, just like any successful business does. it has a negative effect on the competitors, but the market is deeply flooded with choices as it is.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i've been a user of fender products for sometime (guitars and amps)
one of my fave brands i guess
but
it's nice to have choice as a customer

the big dawg always gets barked at the most

they can grow because they have the rsources right now,
hopefully they keep in mind we want abit more value and variety

it isn't like the old days when you either had fender or a gibby

that stuff doesn't hold water anymore when there is all these new upstart companies offering what is often more appealing products,
at least for player who don't have brand attachments like us often older hardcore gearheads

i think the bigger companies have fallen behind the times
thinking they dictate what we want instead of the other way around

1 - 12 of 12 Posts