The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found this on a local ad site, a Fender telecaster, supposedly a stock 'fantastic four' special edition guitar, for sale at 350 bucks (canadian). So far i'm going towards a yes, because a fender is a fender, but is the F4 edition made out of sh*tty materials or something?

I can't find any info on this anywhere, is this even a real Fender guitar?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Never heard of it and can't find any info either.

I could see it being won in some sort of online contest or something for promotion of the movie... but I don't recall seeing any online or in stores.

Ask him for the serial number then search to see if it's vailid and/or contact Fender.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never heard of it and can't find any info either.

I could see it being won in some sort of online contest or something for promotion of the movie... but I don't recall seeing any online or in stores.

Ask him for the serial number then search to see if it's vailid and/or contact Fender.
Thanks Violation, i just contacted Fender and i'll wait for an answer. I really hope it is a fender, because at 350, any fender is a steal.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Thanks Violation, i just contacted Fender and i'll wait for an answer. I really hope it is a fender, because at 350, any fender is a steal.
It looks like the headstock says Fender. There are a few paint chips, but that really doesn't matter. 350$ is certainly a good price, especially if it has an alder body. And if you aren't into comic books, you can always cover that up with some stickers, your own artwork, whatever.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long does it take for Fender to reply? Last time i contacted Gibson for guitar identification, they answered very quickly.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, he sent me more pictures. It appears to be a real fender. But it's 'Made in mexico'. Is that considered bad? Or still worth the 350 bucks?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
No, there's nothing wrong with a Mexican made Tele. I have one and it's a really nice guitar. Plays well, sounds good, no issues whatsoever, but having said that, there'll always be a chance you could find a lemon even with American made Teles or Strats. If the guy lives close to you head over to his place and try it out.
Well, he sent me more pictures. It appears to be a real fender. But it's 'Made in mexico'. Is that considered bad? Or still worth the 350 bucks?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He agreed to let me come over and play it, so i will sometime soon. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My only issue with the Mexican Teles I've checked out (and, admittedly, I haven't checked out that many) is that they all had a satin finish on the neck without the vintage tint. It's a bit plain for my tastes. I prefer a gloss finish with a vintage tint.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just heard that brand new Mexican tele's cost about the same as this... Is this true?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
there is nothing wrong with the Mexican fenders other than you'll probably end up changing out the pickups. I was talking to a Fender rep at the local music store the other day and he said "you can buy a mexican fender, made by mexicans in mexico, or you can spend more and buy an american fender, made by mexicans in the usa." :D

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
there is nothing wrong with the Mexican fenders other than you'll probably end up changing out the pickups. I was talking to a Fender rep at the local music store the other day and he said "you can buy a mexican fender, made by mexicans in mexico, or you can spend more and buy an american fender, made by mexicans in the usa." :D
...they have only 21 frets. i'm a 22-fret guy.

-dh

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes you can get a brand spankin new Fender MIM Standard Tele for $400 usd and under, just look on fleabay. That guitar you posted looks like a MIM Standard with a decal to me.

You still have to deal with shipping. Heck if it's a player buy it. If you don't like the body strip it and have it refinished.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts