The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thought I'd weigh in on this since no else has....

I bought this guitar after trying it out at a local shop.

I've had it for about 2 weeks now and all i can say is this..

I've owned 3 different Strats, a 335, Les Paul, N4, etc. etc. etc. . My Road Worn 60's with Big Dippers was the one I thought I just couldn't beat with another. Was even offered big money for my road worn from a guitar tech as he said: this thing is light, resonant and sounds amazing...

This EJ - blows any guitar I've ever played away. Including custom shop guitars. Everyone has their own tastes...and for some, the f-hole in this model is super strange. Personally, I love the f-hole. But, I dare anyone to pick one up and tell me it's not a great playing guitar.

1) Just play a chord.... it's likely the most resonant guitar I've ever played. It sounds beautiful unplugged.
2) It's the lightest Strat I've ever come across.
3) Sustains...for.....daaayyyyys.
4) The EJ pickups - again, best sounding pickups I've come across in years.
5) The staggered tuners and elimination of the string tree actually works. The guitar stays in tune like no other strat I've played.

All in all...an amazing guitar and accomplishment from the guys at Fender. And remember, this isn't a custom shop guitar either.

Go try one. I'm almost positive your mind will be blown.

Note: I'm not an EJ fanboy. I respect the man but have never been a huge fan of his music. The guy sure does have good idea on what makes a guitar sound great though.

**mind is still blown**

·
Registered
5,517 Posts

I've owned 3 different Strats, a 335, Les Paul, N4, etc. etc. etc. . My Road Worn 60's with Big Dippers was the one I thought I just couldn't beat with another. Was even offered big money for my road worn from a guitar tech as he said: this thing is light, resonant and sounds amazing...

This EJ - blows any guitar I've ever played away. Including custom shop guitars. Everyone has their own tastes...and for some, the f-hole in this model is super strange. Personally, I love the f-hole. But, I dare anyone to pick one up and tell me it's not a great playing guitar.

1) Just play a chord.... it's likely the most resonant guitar I've ever played. It sounds beautiful unplugged.
5) The staggered tuners and elimination of the string tree actually works. The guitar stays in tune like no other strat I've played.

All in all...an amazing guitar and accomplishment from the guys at Fender. And remember, this isn't a custom shop guitar either.

Note: I'm not an EJ fanboy. I respect the man but have never been a huge fan of his music. The guy sure does have good idea on what makes a guitar sound great though.

**mind is still blown**
I like it. I would love to try one

·
Registered
944 Posts

**mind is still blown**
You know..., my life would be a hell of a lot simpler if you had just said it sucked. Now I have to try one......does it come in black? Just say “no”.

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts

**mind is still blown**
LOL

I steer clear of anything and everything with an EJ moniker or brand on it. I'm afraid I'll get sucked into the whole 'directional cable' debacle and then my understanding of physics will get sucked through a black hole and splattered out the other side.

The guitar does sound intriguing though.

·
Premium Member
17,546 Posts
Now I have to try one......does it come in black? Just say “no”.

Tech Specs

• Body Type:Semi-hollowbody
  • Body Shape:Stratocaster
  • Left-/Right-handed:Right-handed
  • Number of Strings:6
  • Body Material:Alder
  • Body Finish:Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
  • Color:Vintage White, Light Black, Medium Black, Dark Black
  • Neck Material:Maple
  • Neck Shape:'57 Soft V
  • Radius:12"
  • Fingerboard Material:Maple
  • Fingerboard Inlay:Black Dots
  • Number of Frets:21, Medium Jumbo
  • Scale Length:25.5"
  • Nut Width:1.650"
  • Nut Material:Bone
  • Bridge/Tailpiece:6-saddle Vintage-style Synchronized Tremolo
  • Tuners:Vintage-style Staggered
  • Neck Pickup:Specially Voiced Eric Johnson Single-coil
  • Middle Pickup:Specially Voiced Eric Johnson Single-coil
  • Bridge Pickup:Specially Voiced Eric Johnson Single-coil
  • Controls:1 x volume, 2 x tone (brige, neck), 5-way blade pickup switch
  • Strings:Fender USA, NPS, .010-.046
  • Manufacturer Part Number:0113602741

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Soft V profile,... YES. 1.65" nut,... YES. Fender medium jumbo frets,... YES. 12" radius,..... almost,.... prefer the 9,5. As I have said before, they neck is the make or break for me. Stupid weak puny little girly man hand.

$2600 @ L&M

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Oh crap, there is one at the L&M Whyte just three blocks away. Arrrgggh. Can't afford nor need another guitar. Maybe I will risk the masochism and walk down to give it whirl.

Reactions: bigboki

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
Okay. Went to L&M and tried it out. 4.5/5.

Pickups are incredible, well balanced with great clarity. The pole pieces are different for each pickup. Perfect fit and weight. It has five springs, so it is decked (right term?), I like to have my trem slightly floating. The reason to the 4.5, the neck is a little to beefy for the bitchy weak puny little girly man hand of mine. Not quite a '59, but. still. The soft V is more of a very very soft V. I have a soft V on my Jimmie Vaughan strat and this is my idea of soft V. Profile on mine is slimmer and fits my hand like a glove.

If I was handed $2600 to buy a new guitar, would I get it? Of course. I figure I could adapt to neck, because it is not quite a '59.

Reactions: bigboki and Ti-Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay. Went to L&M and tried it out. 4.5/5.

Pickups are incredible, well balanced with great clarity. The pole pieces are different for each pickup. Perfect fit and weight. It has five springs, so it is decked (right term?), I like to have my trem slightly floating. The reason to the 4.5, the neck is a little to beefy for the bitchy weak puny little girly man hand of mine. Not quite a '59, but. still. The soft V is more of a very very soft V. I have a soft V on my Jimmie Vaughan strat and this is my idea of soft V. Profile on mine is slimmer and fits my hand like a glove.

If I was handed $2600 to buy a new guitar, would I get it? Of course. I figure I could adapt to neck, because it is not quite a '59.
Again, I'm gonna sound like I work for fender or something but...

I agree with you on the neck being beefy. However....

I too have weak puny little girly man hands. I thought my fave neck was on my 60's road worn.

But then...as I started playing the EJ more and switch back to the 7.25 radius RW, I find that I wish the neck was a little beefier. Lol.

Again, the EJ has taken everything I (thought) I knew and turned it upside down.

There is truly one knock I had against the guitar though.

The back of the neck is super glossy and gets pretty sticky. I have no idea why guitar companies continue to do this.

Nothing a bit of sandpaper/scotchbrite won't fix though.

The pickups are truly amazing huh?

Glad you liked it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
When I got home I picked up my strat and this time it didn't feel as quite that different as I had imagined. Mine felt a wee bit less beefy. There is something about the soft V profile that my hand likes. I never noticed the glossy back neck. I can still hear those pickups in my mind. And I played the EJ through a Fender Super Champ X2, just what I have, except mine is a head through a closed back 1x12 with a Rajin Cajun

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I got home I picked up my strat and this time it didn't feel as quite that different as I had imagined. Mine felt a wee bit less beefy. There is something about the soft V profile that my hand likes. I never noticed the glossy back neck. I can still hear those pickups in my mind. And I played the EJ through a Fender Super Champ X2, just what I have, except mine is a head through a closed back 1x12 with a Rajin Cajun
Good news is, those pickups are available now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts