The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a couple and am looking at grabbing another one. One thing I noticed is they have all the appointments of a regular Deluxe but they don't use locking tuners on the custom shop models. Kind of struck me as odd. Anyone know why they don't?

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
The locking tuners are typically non appealing to the Custom Shop buying crowd. The CS buyer being of a certain demographic, prefers vintage spec appointments although that does not seem to apply for fret wire gauge size which seems to be an exception.

I owned a Rocking Dog CS Strat , fantastic sounding but they had low resale value mostly due to the locking tuners feature.

That is my guess.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I recently acquired a Closet Classic Pro Strat in a trade and it has locking tuners. IIRC the specs are very close to a CS Deluxe.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently acquired a Closet Classic Pro Strat in a trade and it has locking tuners. IIRC the specs are very close to a CS Deluxe.
I wonder if they were factory tuners, I've never seen a custom with locking tuners.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I wonder if they were factory tuners, I've never seen a custom with locking tuners.
Yes, they are. Here's a partial list of some of the other specs:

Lightweight ash body with nitro finish
Quartersawn maple neck with 9.5" radius, 6105 frets & hand-oiled finish (it has a worn-in feel to it)
1018 CRS milled steel 2 point bridge
Fat 50s pickups

I should point out that the guitar I acquired was a 2013 model, and some features appear to be unique to that year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts